22. Trees

Maggie did well through the EEG that the neurologist wanted done. And when she got back to her room, Papa had her strawberry shampoo and Uff and Turtle! Mama helped her take a shower and get the goopy glue out of her hair. Papa also brought home pjs so Maggie didn't have to wear the funny hospital gown that made her bum show.

Maggie got back on her bed after her shower and Papa sat on the bed and read her a story.

"Hi Maggie!" A little voice called out. Maggie looked up from her story and saw Rosie coming into the room with her Mama and Papa.

"Hi there, sweet girl," Aunty Jenna said. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I think," Maggie said. "I had a test today and they put funny glue in my hair, but Papa brought my strawberry shampoo and it's all gone now."

She smiled up at Aunty Jenna.

"Hey there, little one," Uncle Tyler said, coming into the room.

"Hi Uncle Tyler," Maggie smiled shyly.

Rosie climbed up onto Maggie's bed and sat in front of her friend.

"We bringed Jim to our house so he wouldn't be sad," Rosie said. Maggie smiled.

The adults watched the two girls interacting. They loved how well their girls got along. It was important to them that the girls were friendly, given the amount of time the families spent together.

"How is she, really?" Jenna asked Debby.

"Well, in terms of the seizure, or whatever that was, she seems fine. Slept through the night and woke up just fine this morning. But she still won't eat. She claims she's just not hungry. I don't understand it."

"And she's not complaining of any stomach trouble?"

"No. That's just it. No nausea, no vomiting, nothing. She just says she's not hungry. And to be honest, I don't think I've even heard her stomach growl."

Jenna frowned. That really didn't make sense. And from what Debby had been telling her, this was day four, at least, that Maggie hadn't eaten.

"You're going to tell the doctor, right?"

"Of course. While we're here, maybe he can book a CT scan or something," Debby said.

Jenna nodded.

Tyler and Josh had gone downstairs to get coffee for everyone, and hot chocolates for the girls.

"How's she doing?" Tyler asked Josh.

"She seems to be okay. They did an EEG this morning so we're waiting on that. But she seems okay otherwise. But she still hasn't eaten."

"Nothing?" Tyler asked.

"Nothing. Not a bite since," Josh thought for a minute. "Wednesday."

Tyler frowned. It was Friday today.

"Have you spoken to the doctor?" Tyler asked.

"Debby is going to. We only saw the neurologist this morning. I think her doctor will be in a little later."

Tyler nodded. He knew Debby and Josh would be on top of things but hated how helpless he felt.  He knew his friend was hurting and there wasn't anything he could do about it. But at least this time, Maggie was awake. They didn't have to worry about having a difficult conversation with Rosie.

They went back to the room where Rosie and Maggie were laughing and playing together. Debby and Jenna were sitting, watching the girls and smiling.

"Who here wants a hot chocolate?" Josh asked.

"I do!" Rosie said. "I can have one?"

Josh handed her a small, not that hot, hot chocolate.

"Maggie? I got you one too."

"Thank you Papa. I'm not thirsty," Maggie said. Josh shot Debby a worried look.

"I'll leave it here in case you change your mind, okay?" Josh said.

"It's okay, Papa. I won't drink it," Maggie said.

Josh frowned.

"Why won't you drink it?" He asked.

"Acause I can't," Maggie said, simply.

"What? Why can't you have hot chocolate? Who told you that?"

Maggie looked up at Josh, looked straight into his eyes and said:

"The monsters."

The look in Maggie's eyes changed, Josh thought, for a second.

The adults were stunned into silence.

"Sweetheart," Josh said. "The monsters can't tell you what you can and can't have. That's what Mama and Papa are for," Debby said, moving to Maggie's bed and sitting beside her.

"The monsters put rocks in my tummy so I can't eat or drink," Maggie said. Josh and Debby looked at each other. This was not a case of nightmares anymore. This was something far more serious. Far more sinister.

They were going to have to call Dr. Kate and see if she could come see Maggie at the hospital, or if there was some physical thing they needed to look into that was stopping Maggie from eating.

Debby found herself almost wishing there was some physical, medical reason for Maggie not eating.

Josh was thinking along the same lines. Maybe Maggie had a tumour. An ulcer. Something that could be cut out or treated easily.

Jenna and Tyler shared a look. They had no idea what to say about what their friends' daughter was dealing with. They certainly didn't envy their friends.

Just before lunch came, Jenna and Tyler packed Rosie up and took her home while Josh and Debby tried to coax food into their daughter.

"Come on, Maggie, please!" Debby was pleading with her. "You have to eat. It's important to your body."

"But Mama, I'm. Not. Hungry," Maggie said.

"I know you aren't. But can't you just try a bite? Maybe it'll wake your tummy up."

"I don't want to. I'm not hungry," Maggie insisted.

"Maggie, Bug," Josh said. "Just try a bite. Please, my sweet girl?"

"No!" Maggie yelled. "I'm not hungry! Stop telling me to eat! I am not HUNGRY!"

Maggie flipped the tray off her table, spilling the food across her bed and onto the floor.

"I'M NOT HUNGRY! I'M NOT HUNGRY! I'M NOT HUNGRY!" Maggie was screaming.

Josh and Debby were perplexed. They'd never seen Maggie like this. She was screaming and yelling so loud the nurses came in to see what was the matter.

"We can't get her to calm down!" Josh shouted over Maggie's screaming.

One of the nurses nodded and put up a finger. Josh took it to mean she was going to contact the doctor and see what could be done.