Just a Dream?

Beep-Beep-Beep

Beep-Beep-Beep

I woke up to my alarm with a start, breathless almost. It felt as if my lungs were on fire. I dreamt of him again, didn't I? I subconsciously check my left arm, only to find that the beautiful dreamcatcher which I saw so vividly a few moments ago has disappeared and in it's place is a jagged scar from when I was stabbed. What was I expecting anyway? A single tear trailed down my left cheek. It's been two years yet I still dream about those happy days. Two years since they tried to kill me. Two years since I was forced to dismantle our bonds. Two years since I saw him. Yet...my past comes back to haunt me.

'There's no point in re-living those murky memories', I mutter to myself. I better get ready for work.

After the fatal end of everything that I loved, and the death of my parents, I had decided to shift my human life to New York from Bhabyanagar. The memories there was just too much to bear. Aunt Rosella or Ro as I call her, decided that it was for the best. Since then, New York has been my second home in the weekends, when I stay away from Oceana.

And after being trampled by my own torturous thoughts after being cooped up the apartment in my first week here at NYC, which was two years ago, I had decided to pay an undercover visit to an orphanage for special cases funded by the Oceanian government, since Ro had flanked me up with a hundred guards and wouldn't let me out until it was an 'official work'.

And I am eternally thankful that I made that decision. I fell in love with the kids there in the very first visit and the feeling was mutual. So much so that the director of the institution, Mr. Lee, upon hearing that I am a student of Psychology at the Oceanian University gave me the offer to work part-time as a caretaker in the orphanage, of course I took it.

I just decided to ignore the dreadfully pale expression on his face when I gave him the new-recruitment form and he read the applicant's name!

"Yo-yo-your highness I-, we-, I am so-sorry for offering you a me-meager position in the institution when you- you practically own it." He said, stuttering like a middle schooler in his first viva exam.

"No Mr. Lee, why would you feel sorry? I am really grateful to you because you offered me a position through which I will be able to take care of these children directly, and I would love to have an identity other than having one that I have inherited. But I request you to keep my identity as a Princess a secret."

And that's how I got the best job in the world.

After getting dressed in a simple white dress and some bellies, I called John, my present bodyguard (Ro keeps on changing them every once in a while, to avoid suspicion) before heading out. He knows how to blend in the crown and keep an eye on the surroundings without making me overly anxious.

I walk my way to the Orphanage through the busy streets of NYC. Within a few minutes I see the familiar grand six-storied white building complete with its green lawns. It's actually hard to guess that this beautiful building is an orphanage and not a ministerial mansion.

I smile at the security guard; Matteo and he nods his head and returns the smile. "Good morning Trisha, the kids are driving us crazy since the last two days, they want their best sister back. You better enter quickly before they bring the building down". He says, making me laugh.

Our orphanage is for 'special cases', which means the kids here have had a rough past or have been rescued from grave conditions. While some of them were abused and even mutilated by their own parents or relatives, others were victims of social evils like drugs, gangs or even rape. It breaks my heart that there are people in this world who were heartless enough to harm these little angels.

My duty here is to bring forth a friendly relation with them and help them cope up with their pains. And the kids see me as their own sister, which never fails to warm my heart.

After visiting the office, I walk towards the ward assigned to the 4 to 7-year-olds. There are five children under me in this ward and now its hard for me to imagine a world without my munchkins.

The moment I open the door, I am attacked by the little monsters! "You are 2 minutes late", "I mished youuu", "Will you tell a new storwie?", "Melinda bit my ear yesterday", "Did you bring sea shells?" A cacophony of sweet voices greet me like a splash of fresh air.

"Yes, yes I missed you too you little devils." I pat Jason and Kunal on their heads and kiss Lilly and Melinda on their forehead. "So, where is she? The other angry bird?"

"Leena said that she won't talk to you. She thought that you won't come today so she got angry." Replied Jason, the leader of the group.

"Well, I feel so sorry for her, because I had brought coconut chocolates... so-" I say with a loud voice. And within seconds I feel two tiny hands wrap around my knees. A smile appears on my face as I turn around to meet the brightest blue eyes. "There's my little princess".

I spent the rest of the day happily with them. These little angels came up to me when I was at my lowest and within a few days they lit up the darkest bleeding corners of my heart. I don't know what I will do without them. Especially Leena.

I still remember the day when they had brought her in. The quietest little kid who sat in the corner of the room. Everytime someone went towards her she flinched as if they were about to hit her and the scene broke my heart. Throughout the night she sat there with her eyes open, as if scared that someone would again shatter her body into pieces if she closes her eyes. And I sat there with her across the room. When I finally mastered the courage to move towards her, worried that she will be scared again, a miracle happened. The tiny figure raised her arms towards me. Tears welled up in my eyes as I picked her up and placed her on my lap. She looked at me with those broken blue eyes for a few moments as if measuring the depths of my soul and gradually placed Her head on the crook of my neck. Within seconds I herd soft little snores.

The feeling that I felt at that moment can never be described by mere words. She was my solace.

Say hi to Leena! Isn't she a sweetheart?