Prologue: Remembering What I Once Was

(A/N): Hello! Loomin here with a story that some of you might or might not have expected. I've been making chapters for this story for almost two months and is a success in AO3. I decided to put this also in Wattpad because there aren't a lot of Elden Ring fanfics here so I'm putting this story here as well! Enjoy! 

Chapel Of Anticipation

It all started with a blink.

One blink.

Darkness.

Two blinks.

Still darkness.

Three blinks.

...

.

.

.

.

.

.

'I'm sealed shut...'

Matthias realizes his situation and tries to move his arms horizontally. To his surprise, his hand hit the solid stone and felt his fingernails scratching the surface. He quickly retracted his arms to his side again, but this tine, he moves his arms vertically in a slow and steady fashion. Feeling the cold surface of stone again, he began to push off the lid aside, just enough for his body to exit the coffin. After pushing the lid aside, he pushed himself out of the coffin and stepped onto the cold, stone floor of the chapel.

That's what he thought was going to happen until he flopped down beside the stone coffin, and couldn't get up.

"Damn it all!" He exclaimed, as tried to move his legs. Who knew that sleeping inside a coffin for bloody knows how long will render your lower extremities useless?

"Now I know how the Albinaurics feel when they suddenly lost the ability to move their legs..."

Mattheas, the man that he was, will not stand idle. For he dragged himself across the stone floor of the chapel. In his search for clues to how he ended up in such a state, Mattheas felt appalled when he saw a dead maiden's body slumped near the chapel's door. There, he found a Wizened Tarnished Finger, and a written letter. He grabbed the finger and read the letter. It says:

Mattheas, the Fellsword. The Lands Between needs you more than ever. The Elden Ring has been shattered, and the Lands Between is being torn apart by Queen Marika's children. Without your intervention and guidance, each of them declared war on each other. Please. Wake up. We need your strength, your grace, and your courage. To face the darkness that is yet to come in the Lands Between.

The moment he finished reading the letter, the feeling in his legs returned, and stood up. The shock, the fear, and grief hit Mattheas too quickly for he found himself kicking the double doors of the chapel and rushed outside.

Mattheas stopped when he saw the Erdtree, still standing tall and glowing in the night sky. His initial panic dies down and frowned at the current display of the Erdtree. It was supposed to be burning bright as the sun, a beacon of light that pierced the darkest corners of the Lands Between. Instead, the tree is glowing, its rays of golden light seems weaker than the last time he saw it in person.