i hope you are loved.

one.

( a )

streetlights brightened up the park at night — though dim, it was sufficient. headlights flickered in the distance, and the sounds of crickets filled the peaceful atmosphere.

matthew and arielle sat in a beige playhouse together, on top of the little wooden chairs. hanging out at the playground had become a routine for them since freshman year. normally arielle wasn't allowed to loiter at night but it was with matt. everyone in the porter family knew that the rules could only be bent for matt. he was a good kid — never got in trouble in school, only ever raises his voice around brothers. as mrs porter had said before, matt tames arielle's energy. she would get into trouble in school a lot, mostly for the fights she'd get into. an individual with strong principles she is — say idiotic shit and you'll meet her fist. 

"feel like we're outgrowing this playhouse," matt commented, eyes looking around in the little playhouse. they used to play tea together, and fight over who gets to serve the tea everyday. now they're sixteen, with only a year left in high school.

"yeah no shit. it's sad," arielle replied, munching on fries.

the night was serene, only the two of them in a quiet playground. a contrast to afternoons where kids would run around fighting over the swings and kick sand off the sandbox. they loved it; the nostalgia that surrounded them as they hung around the playground, and the peace which engulfed their bodies like warm blankets. 

one thing that matt loved about the two's friendship was the comfort that came with it. how arielle doesn't make it awkward to just sit around and be quiet. matt never felt pressured to speak around his best friend. comfortable silence was almost a daily occurence. 

arielle knew matt like the back of her hand. the furrow of his eyebrows meant confliction. the pursing of his lips meant he was lying. the silent stare, the skin picking — arielle understood matt's body language as though it was an actual language. 

she knew that matt had something to say. something he'd been holding in by the way he was staring into nothing, nails picking on the skin around his thumb.

"what do you have in mind, kid?" she questioned. over the years she had adopted the triplets' way of speaking, clearly.

matt raised his head, blue eyes meeting her green eyes. the purse of his lips confirmed arielle that he, indeed, had something to tell. arielle waited patiently, resting her chin in her palms.

"i've got something to tell you, but i don't know how to tell you it"

"geez, just tell me. oh my god — is it something terrible? did you do something bad? or did someone hurt you? want me to beat them up?"

her words were rambled as she tried to figure out just what got her best friend all nervous. matt only shook his head, chuckling at arielle's antics.

"no ari, no — just wanted to tell you that i got a girlfriend, that's all."

ah.

the brunette girl swore she could feel her heart shatter to pieces. she blinked, batting away tears which threatened to fall. over the years she had developed major feelings for matt — never confessing to not ruin the friendship. she kept her feelings bottled up, and now they were overflowing.

"oh. who? since when?" she asked, gulping and adjusting the wooden stool.

nervously, matt rubbed the back of his head, breaking eye contact with arielle.

"this girl from geography. lauren. we talked for a month, and started dating three days ago," he explained.

a hum slipped past arielle's lips, a hand reaching out to grab a french fry. it was hard to keep her feelings at bay — to not let her disappointment show and be supportive of her best friend. in her heart was a plethora of emotions — anger towards herself for not confessing, missing her chance. jealousy. happiness as a friend.

she smiled at matt and she prayed to god the smile looked sincere.

"that sounds great, matt! guess you're not bitchless now, dude," she laughed, her words earning a smack on the back from matt.

"shut up! arielle, seriously, you have no idea just how cute she is! also i'm glad that you're not mad at me for not telling you sooner."

"who said i'm not mad, hm? should've told me sooner, geez. i'm hurt!"

overdramatically, she smacked her palm against her forehead, acting hurt. the roll of matt's blue optics made her giggle.

"so, she's your first love, huh?"

"first love? nah. you're my first love, idiot," matt confessed, almost too casually.

the way he grabbed his rootbeer and sipped it made arielle. . . angry. like he wasn't serious about it when arielle's heart was shattering to pieces. there was a throb in her heart and her throat felt tight.

"you're fucking joking though matt, aren't you?"

"no i'm serious, ari. i had the hugest feelings for you for years. did you seriously not notice? i moved on though, so don't get too cocky."

now arielle felt even more mad at herself for not noticing. she fell quiet, the words at the back of her mind never slipping past her lips. she wanted to say "but matt, i'm head over heels for you" or "what if i told you i liked you — and i still do?" but the love she harbored for the boy stopped herself from ever saying those words. matt was happy and that was all that mattered. the way matt was smiling warmed arielle's heart.

"you're quiet — what are you thinking?" matt broke the brief silence.

arielle shook her head, "nothing much. i'm happy for you matt! was just recalling who lauren was. . . it's that blonde girl with brown eyes, right? she's real pretty."

matt nodded happily, lips pursing into a smile as he thought of his girlfriend.

"yeah, she's gorgeous. really funny and nice too."

the two fell silent again. only frogs talked — croaking. the crickets sang. it all felt mocking to arielle. how serene and happy things were contrasted arielle's messy, raging feelings.

"matty?"

"yeah?"

"i hope you are loved."

matt's attention turned towards his best friend who was staring into the walls of the playhouse. he smiled, once again.

"i am loved, ari — she makes me really happy."

arielle never hated the universe this much.

༊*·˚ ༉‧₊˚✧

lovemail from rin .ᐟ

hi hi friends!! first of all i want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for the support this book has been getting ☹️ your comments and votes make my whole day frfr!!! <3

okayokay secondly, this chapter is a first part for a few linked chapters. meaning, the next few chapters is going to have a plot and is linked <3

LASTLYYY!! should i write another book for arielle and matt? as in, a book that actually has a stable plot? this book is just prompts of them, so i thought maybe i should make a book with a plot for them? lmk what u think!!

have a good day!!! ♡