Rain

I'm so cold. It's raining and the sky is not holding back. My cloak is stained with blood and I can barely walk, much less guide Tsula who, in her current state, can barely walk herself.

That's when I spot it. A small opening in the bluff's side. It's a cave, small but better than nothing. I lead Enola to it. "Stay here, I'll be back." I instruct.

After nearly three hours of foraging, I've managed to collect a meager bundle of twigs buried deeply enough under the thick carpet of leaves to remain somewhat dry. Once the fire is going I do my best to assess the situation.

We have no food or water. Our only heat source is this weak flame and we each have a thin cloak, both of which are quickly staining with blood. I want to cry. If I was cast out that would be one thing. But they hurt Tsula. I just want to fall into a heap and cry and have Mother or Ai come and comfort me.

Instead, I lay down next to Tsula and wrap her in my cloak. "We're gonna be okay Tsula. I promise. Give me a few days, I'll get better and I'll fly us somewhere warm. I'll figure out a way to get us out of here."

I know that isn't true. I won't get better, not for a long time. And I can't fly, not anymore.