The Lady of the Loom

I roll over and plant my face directly in my pillow, trying to prolong my sleep but I eventually force myself to wake up. I rub the sleep out of my eyes and pull the curtains closed to afford Ai a little bit more sleep.

My bed rests in a niche in the wall opposite hers and my clothes reside in the small closet formed by the jutting out section of the wall that forms the niche. I select my new purple-toned kimono and the accompanying clothes.

I proceed to get dressed, doing my best not to disturb Ai, although this is a difficult task in a room as small as ours. Eventually, I come to a point in getting dressed where I need Ai's help. Reluctantly, I shake her shoulder. "Ai, it's time to get up."

She rolls over and mumbles something but I persist and she stretches and wakes up. While I could put my kimono on by myself, Ai always does a better job at fixing the collars and arranging everything. I used to be able to do everything just fine, but these newer styles of kimonos are much looser than I am used to. Plus this furisode's sleeves are longer than I am used to.

I quickly put my hair up and select a kanzashi Ai made me last week. Ai finishes getting ready and waits patiently for me to do her hair. I slip my fans into a special pocket I sewed into the outermost layer of my dress and make sure Ai has her knife tucked away, out of eyesight but in close range. One never knows when they will need to defend themselves, that's what Tokino always said.

We both make our beds and then leave for work. I make sure the communal cook stove out front is fully put out and then leave, walking briskly to catch up to Ai. Our room is actually rather nice considering our positions. It's only because of my new promotion that we can afford it, but I Ai has never seemed to mind. She didn't mind when we only had one bed and she doesn't mind that now we no longer have a small space for a stove inside. There are cherry blossom trees outside, that's all she really cares about.

She clutched my hand as we make our way to the White Castle. "Ai, remember, I won't be working with you today. I know that you don't like it, but I really need you to focus. I won't be there to protect you today."

Ai nods. "I know, I just get so bored. Why can't I just sit in your new office?"

I sigh and begin to map out my response before a thought hits me. "You know what, you're right. You will sit with me today." I'm the only person who does what I do like I can, they won't risk firing me.

Ai smiles and continues skipping as best she can in a kimono, even these newer loose ones. I wish I could run after her but unfortunately with higher positions come higher standards of dignity. So I straighten my posture and compose my face with a neutral expression.

We arrive at the intimidating building, early enough that most of the hallways are empty. Ai goes to her workstation and collects her newest transcription orders.

I hold her hand as we make our way up the spiral staircase. Once I reach my door and pull out my key a page runs almost straight into me. "Miss Kaori, your sister hasn't reported for work but her papers have been stolen. I fear there has been a security breach."

Ai peaks out from behind my flowing kimono sleeve and smiles. "Hi."

I raise my eyebrow. "As you can see, Ai is right here." I ruffle a little at the misuse of my new title. I worked hard for this position and I will not let the respect I earned slip through my fingers, even in small ways like that. Even so, I have learned it is not worth the battle with these people.

I sit down at my desk and wait for the scribe to set down my papers. "Um, these are for you." He stutters out.

I give him a warm smile. "Thank you, Perace."

I would like to keep my respect but that doesn't mean I should detach my connections to people who are ranked lower than me. My position is not very high but it is something. And I intend to use it as a foothold to pull Ai and myself up in the world.

Ai sits down on a cushion and places her papers on the floor. She begins to quickly transcribe the notes taken the day before into official text. Ai has always had a gift for turning things into a more poetic version of themselves, something in demand when recounting someone's life story.

I have always been skilled when it comes to collecting the notes Ai would transcribe, but even more so when it came to creating dreams. Next to my desk sits a loom that I use to make them. I create the dreams based on the previous few days.

Unfortunately for us both, the older gods seem to be unaware of these important tasks. It's easy for them. They control major aspects of mortals' lives and they have so many younger gods working under them that they rarely actually do anything.

Well, that will change. Makoto and Tokino did the same with death, Ai and I will do it with dreams and memories. Then they will be able to recognize us again. 

But until then we will sit in our small office, me weaving dreams and her turning lives into poetries. We will sleep in that small room and make our peace with those who think they are better.

They won't ever see us coming. One day, I shall be in charge of all dreams, even the older gods', and Ai can play in cherry blossom orchards, play like a child should be able to, like I wanted to do when I was a kid. "Ai," I say, looking up from my loom.

She perks up. "Yes?"

I smile and shake my head. Looking out the window I reply, "Nothing, never mind. Just, I love you."

She returns to her work. "I love you too Kaori. One day, I promise, I'll get us out of here. You'll finally be able to sleep in and you can be the queen of dreams!" She proclaims.