Truth Hurts

A/N- Another chapter is up! I hope you guys like it! I also have a new Walking Dead fic out if y'all wanna check that out 😊

      I flew down the stairs making an immediate right once I got to the bottom and running into the kitchen where the four other members of my family were already gathered

      I flew down the stairs making an immediate right once I got to the bottom and running into the kitchen where the four other members of my family were already gathered. Cole and Jason were dressed in khakis and polos with backpacks already flung over their shoulder, false annoyance on both of their faces as they were made to stay and endure their sister's first day of school fashion show.

      "Ta-da!" I yelled, throwing my hands into the air dramatically as I showed off my new outfit. At eight years old I had never felt more grown up then I did standing there in that simple black dress with the witchy sleeves. My mother had hated the dress, if not for it being "the devil's color" then because it didn't quite fit into her 'below the knees' rule she had placed on me. A rule that back then I was to innocent to understand.

Cole, who had just turned fourteen, had been the one to stick up for me in the middle of the clothing isle at some store I couldn't care less to remember. "Come on, Mama. It's not every day you start second grade. Plus we ain't gotta worry about all that stuff til she's in high school."

Yet another thing my young mind didn't pick up on. But my mother had given in with a mock huff and Cole gave me a wink, the kind that people give one another when they get away with something and the third party has no clue.

Before I left for the bus stop that morning, Mama tied a bright pink ribbon in my hair and smiled down at me lovingly as she stroked my dark locks. "A little pop of color."

I stood at the end of the drive with my brothers like I had the two years prior, my body giddy with the thought of being back in the classroom and seeing all of my friends from last year. I really hoped that my teacher was as nice as Ms. Vyder had been. The bus ride was longer then most since our house was on the district line away from most of the other students.

When the bus finally pulled into the grade school building a wave of nervousness hit me, but Jason grabbed my hand reassuringly and walked me all the way to my class before heading towards the fourth grade room. When I entered the classroom I was in complete 'aw'. Every wall was decorated with brightly, colored projects the students from prior years had made. The chair were placed in a giant semi-circle opposed to boring lines. But the thing that caught my eye was sitting on the counter in the back of the room in a wired cage beside one of the many fish aquariums that were in the room.

A small rabbit was huddled against the side of the cage. His long ears flopping beside him and not sticking up like the rabbits on the images around me. I leaned down and pressed my face against the cage and smiled. It was the cutest thing I had ever seen! With his light brown fur that almost looked orange and the smallest little nose!

"That's Remy," a voice piped up from beside me. I turned and see the bubbly, dark face of my best friend Dessi. "My sister said that the teacher brings in a new bunny each year as a class pet and every day the students that were on their best behavior gets to stay after school and help take care of it. And sometimes the teacher will let it out of its cage!"