Chapter 7 - Bone Snatcher

RED

I almost sobbed with relief when the sea of fallen leaves lapped up against a bank of mossy earth

I almost sobbed with relief when the sea of fallen leaves lapped up against a bank of mossy earth. For hours, I'd waded through the rotting foliage, angling away from the ominous ripples in the surface that followed at a distance. I wondered if the creature from the canopy was stalking me; I hadn't so much as glimpsed those blood-red eyes since they'd vanished into thin air, but I also hadn't been able to shake the sense that someone was watching me. I almost wished whatever it was would try to kill me already, so I wouldn't have to endure another second of prickling hair on the back on my neck.

I felt a sharp pinch on my ankle and swore, shaking off the armoured leech that was already shriveling to death. The bastards had been latching onto my ankles, calves and even my thighs where the leaves ran deep enough. Thankfully, the pathetically thin strain of lycan blood in my veins was sufficient insect repellent. I shuddered to think of how difficult it would have been to pull the leeches off otherwise, given the thick, chitinous plates they curled into for protection, like vile little hedgehogs.

The moss bank was closer, now, glowing lime with the first rays of sunlight. Only thirty steps left. My strength flagged when I realised just how long I'd been trekking through the woods; how much blood I must have lost through all my cuts and scrapes in that time. My feet dragged through the muck, but I forced them on and on, knowing the chance to rest on dry, solid ground outweighed the benefits of a short break.

Twenty steps. My head pounded and my hands shook uncontrollably, clear signs of withdrawal. It had been nearly twenty-four hours since I'd last taken my medicine, which I was supposed to have at least twice a day. The worst part was my tongue, just a dry lump of flesh, constantly sticking to the pasty roof of my mouth. No amount of water from the dwindling supply in my canteen could whet my thirst. I'd had to start rationing my sips, after realising I'd need something to brew my tonic with later.

Ten steps. A twig snapped behind me, far too loud for comfort. My head whipped around so fast it made me dizzy, and dread sluiced through my chest at the rippling leaves, now mere feet away. The creature must have sensed I was nearing the edge of its territory; that I wasn't going to drop dead from blood loss, like so many others must have before me.

Run, sounded a faint, musical voice in the back of my head. It was like a burbling stream, young and refreshing to the ears, but underlaid with the wisdom of miles travelled. I felt a pressure between my shoulder blades, like a hand pressing me forward. Hurry!

I pushed my tired legs into a frantic run, scrambling for the mossy bank like my life depended on it. If the Night Goddess was deigning to speak to me for the first time, then it probably did. So I hurled myself at the exposed roots in the steep mudbank, ignoring the bark of pain in my mangled hands as I hauled myself up, up --

Something burst from the leaves behind me, sending up a spray of red and gold. I let go of the roots the second its shadow blocked out the rising sun, knowing the dead weight of my body would pull me down faster than I could drag myself up. It roared when it collided with the wall, impaling itself on the petrified roots I'd been clinging to scant seconds before. Blue, viscous blood splattered on the leaves, burning where it splashed against my skin.