Epilogue: Terrible News

It is early in the morning on October 23, 2022. A man is seated with gloomy eyes, as he stares out a window from his office. This man was told to meet with someone to discuss terrible urgent news. The man looked at the clock above the window. 6:57, it read. He turned his chair back to his desk, expecting the bringer of news to arrive soon.

Jeff Brandon White, who interviewed Travis and his friends, walked nervously along the halls. He brought with him a rather light suitcase. The journalist entered the sheriff's office, three minutes earlier than scheduled.

"Ah, Mr. White, take a seat." The sheriff said, keeping his gloomy eyes and still seated. "What is this urgent news, you called me for?"

JB nervously gulped then took a seat. His legs were apart and his feet tapped repeatedly.

JB said in a strong voice, "A group of lost injured hikers were found in the Redwoods forest. They claimed to be attacked by something supernatural. I believe this is connected to the Hearst mansion in some way."

The sheriff clasped his hands together and asked, "Supernatural you say? How did they describe it?"

JB crossed his legs then said, "Monsters that stalk them and follow them swiftly from the dark. Most, except one, do not move nor speak when they are sighted nearby. They claim that these monsters liked revealing themselves, as if knowing their path to make sure that they would be bumped into."

The sheriff raised an eyebrow and asked, "Most except one, you say. What does the other do?"

JB said, "Speaks and attacks no matter what, especially when met by light. But there's one more thing. These monsters are described as scarecrows with pointy hats and long-handed scythes, sounds familiar?"

The sheriff leaned back and said, "Yeah, just like the scarecrows that were sighted around the mansion during the failed investigation." He sighed then said, "The scarecrow and all the monsters are classified information. They truly must have encountered this instead of making the story up. This detail coincides too much with secret information."

JB pulled a paper out of his suitcase and said, "Speaking of classified monsters. This drawing came from one of the hiker's nightmares." The two monster sketches of Travis were presented. They were the disturbing beings from his nightmares. The long-necked man with puppets and the man with the stretching jaw.

The sheriff trembled and said, "The R-Redwoods Nightmare Phenomenon! Thi-this really is related to the curse! We must close off the entire forest!"

"Not enough," JB said, while pulling more things out of his briefcase, "They claimed they were in London before magically appearing here. I checked last night and Yoster Port doesn't even have records of them traveling here. This means that no one is safe, no matter where they are... closing the forest would not stop the deaths there. Here's the recording of the interview, in case you want to hear it for yourself."

The sheriff said, "I'll be damned... Let's do Mathews a favor and take down this god forsaken mansion! Former sheriff Mathews trusted you, and I believe it was for good reason... Mr. White, I'd like you to document whatever happens when we siege it!"

JB responded, "My pleasure, Patrick!"

"Ehem! Sheriff Edwards." The sheriff corrected, while crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow.

"Right, sorry for my disrespect." JB said, "Before we do this though, I have so many questions needing answers... I'll try to contact Alec Banks and Elijah Farrow to clarify a few details from their experiences. They've been more hesitant to act ever since the Second Hearst Incident, the failed investigation, but I have high hopes that they'll want to talk again soon."

Sheriff Edwards nodded, "That's fair. I wish you luck, Mr. White!"