~Shot 2~

Author's POV:

It's been two years since Theera started working as an assistant professor at one of the reputed colleges in Mangalore. She is happy with her life. Tomorrow is her father and mother's 30th wedding anniversary. On top of that, her father got a promotion. So, she is planning a small party with their close ones.

Theera came back from her work and saw her grandmother reciting the Ramayana. Theera smiled at her grandmother and moved to her room to freshen up. By the time she came out, Sakuntala had prepared coffee for her.

"Thank you, Nanamma," Theera said, kissing her grandmother's cheek.

"How is your day?" Sakuntala asked her.

"Good and tiring," Theera said as she sipped her coffee.

"By the way, where are Amma and Nanna?" Theera asked Sakuntala. 

"They went to the temple," said Sakuntala. 

"Why didn't you go then?" Theera asked, narrowing her eyes at her grandmother. 

Sakuntala gave her a nervous smile and said, "You will be alone, right?"

"Nanamma," Theera said sternly. 

"They went to attend a function. It was my cousin's grandson's engagement," said Sakuntala. 

"But why didn't you go to attend it?" Theera asked her.

"Her husband never liked me or your grandfather. So, we used to avoid attending any functions at their home. But my cousin (Radhika) is completely opposite to her husband. She loves me a lot and used to respect your grandfather. It was their first daughter's wedding. Your grandfather didn't want to attend, as my brother-in-law always insults us. But Radhika pleaded with us to attend, as it was the wedding of their first daughter. Even her daughter (Anupama) pleaded with us to attend her wedding. So, four of us went to attend the wedding. When your parents went to bless Anupama, my brother-in-law wouldn't allow them, saying that they didn't have kids even after four years of marriage. Your mother was badly broken after hearing this, but Anupama scolded her father and took your parents' blessing. On that day, my brother-in-law went a step ahead and insulted your grandfather badly and talked very cheaply about him. He didn't even leave his own wife. He said that my husband and Radhika were having an affair, and that's why she invited him to the wedding. He even questioned her about whether her children's father was him or my husband. I slapped that man hard and dragged my family from there. Radhika was devastated after being falsely accused by her husband for no fault of hers. She decided to walk away from him with her children, but it was not that easy. Her family and mine faced a lot of humiliation because of that man. Anupama's marriage was called off. Your grandfather had a major heart attack and was paralysed. Slowly, we were coping with the situation. After a few months, we learned that he had numerous extramarital affairs. Anupama and her brothers filed a case against her father, and he shamelessly admitted that he never loved my cousin or his children. He said that they were nothing but a burden to him. He also said that he was jealous of your grandfather, as he was respected by many people for his humility and helping nature. The court handed over 70% of his properties to Radhika and imprisoned him for 5 years. It was difficult to prove him guilty, but at last, she won the case. After that, she moved to another city with her children," Sakuntala said, thinking about her cousin.

"But why didn't you go?" Theera asked her grandmother.

"I don't know, Theera. I'm not interested in facing his family after everything," said Sakuntala.

"His family?" Theera asked, confused.

"Yeah! They are still in touch with Radhika's in-laws' family. And whenever I face them, it reminds me of that day. I do go and visit them, but I stopped attending any functions in their family," said Sakuntala.