Chapter 12: Dinner

It felt like the wind had just been knocked out of you. Your day was going fine until your run in with Floch. Now, your mind swirled with unanswered questions and a hint of irritation. You tried to focus on the stove and drown out the distant laughter from the squad in the garden.

You washed a fresh cut of steak in the sink and placed it on the cutting board. The fact that Floch was probably going to eat this meal made you want to spit on it. Of course you wouldn't but it was just a fleeting thought.

What a fucking prick. You thought to yourself. Honesty if Floch hated you this much then why didn't he just leave? You got the feeling that the boy was definitely up to something. But what?

The front door swung open, it was Eren. Strangely enough, you were actually glad to see him after your conversation with Floch.

"Hey, I think we may need some of your help."

"What happened?" You chuckled, turning off the stove and meeting Eren by the door.

"Connie kinda let the cows out." He said, leading you outside. You were met with a hilarious sight, it was just what you needed after such a tense encounter. Connie, Armin and Jean chased after the roaming cows in the field as Levi scolded them. Mikasa carried a heavy feeding sack over shoulders and Floch... Well, let's just ignore Floch.

Levi jogged over to you, sweat smeared across his forehead. "I apologize, these brats can't even do one simple task."

"It's okay, honestly it's quite entertaining watching them run after the cows." You giggled.

"Until they lose them in the forest." Levi grimaced. "Oi! You idiots hurry up!"

"I got it." You interjected, taking a few steps out into the field and whistling with two fingers in your mouth. The cows galloped towards you and you led them back into their fenced area.

Levi and Eren glanced at each other with raised brows.

"Good girl." You smiled, rubbing one of the cows.

Levi walked over to you, shielding his eyes from the sun with a hand. You could see his cheeks were already starting to burn. "They listen to you huh." He said, leaning on the fence.

"It took some practice but they've finally gotten the hang of it." You replied.

"If only I could get these kids to listen to me that fast." He sighed, looking out into the field.

You stepped out of the gate and stood beside him, bumping his shoulder. "You sound like a stressed out father."

"I feel like one sometimes."

"Oh I can tell." You chuckled.

"Is it that obvious?"

"You're not one for subtleties Levi."

His blue eyes flicked in your direction. "Coming from you?"

You scoffed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He glanced around to make sure no one was close before whispering in your ear. "You weren't very subtle when you were begging me to fuck you."

Your back straightened and your eyes beamed at him. Levi just looked forward and acted as if he didn't just say something outta pocket.

"Using my own words against me... That's crude, Captain."

"Then don't say anything worth mocking."

"I-..."

You were stunned, Levi kept his lips tucked and tried not to laugh. You were starting to notice his playful side in little bits and pieces.

You lightly slapped his arm. "Remember I'm the one cooking your food today. Keep teasing me and I might stick a nail in your soup."