chapter 2

2

2

My goal after getting my cheeseburger was to go back to school and hunt down the mystery girl from the office. I needed to know her name and where she came from, pronto.

But my plans were interrupted. Fate was never on my side, even back then.

I only popped home to grab my headphones, but I walked in on my father who was back from work early.

Turns out he cared enough about my education to beat me for bunking, but also provided me with a black eye and busted lip that prevented me from going to school for two weeks.

He knew teachers would inevitably ask what had happened, and God help me if I ruined his reputation as mayor.

It's not like the teachers would do anything, and it's not like I wanted them to do anything. In all honesty, I sort of liked the way the pain made me feel.

There's something satisfying about looking the way you feel on the inside.

Eventually, the two weeks passed, and my bruise looked like a tired bag under my eye. No one would ask questions anyway, not unless Mrs Burrows sat me down and specifically analysed my face. She'd have to catch me first.

I went back to school like nothing happened... as per usual.

It was lunchtime and I was sitting with the one person that actually made school somewhat bearable. Yoongi and I became friends junior year after realising we both had the same agenda. We wanted to make every piece of shit in that school's life a living hell.

"Nah, you can't draw on his locker again, you're just asking for trouble from Burrows," Yoongi said, stuffing his burger into his mouth. "You need to do something that won't involve teachers." He paused whilst thinking. "Holy shit, I've got a good idea."

"Your good ideas are usually crap," I scoffed.

"You'll like this one."

I was open to hearing him out, but my attention was fixed on the table of rowdy cheerleaders joking with the girl sitting with her back to me. I knew who it was, her hair hadn't left my mind for days. It was too unique, various tones of blonde and brown thrown together to make what now was my favourite colour. It was tamed back in the same style as two weeks prior - I don't know how I remembered that detail but here we are. Strangely, her hair wasn't curly or messy or anything, it's just the individual strands couldn't be controlled, they were wild with a mind of their own.

"Go on," I encouraged Yoongi, still not giving him my full attention, "what's this plan then?"

"You've gotta sleep with Lucia Montez."

He was mental.

"Are you joking?" I had to laugh.

"Taehyung has practically claimed her, it's the perfect way to piss him off. Bonus, you won't run into trouble with Angie because student relationships are none of her business."