chapter 9

9

9

The six ungodly hours of school flew by after I met Mila.

I used to hate school, I went to extremes to be excluded and now I couldn't think of anything worse. I thought of it as pure hell, not being able to see the person that was keeping me focused; keeping me sane. Even back then, Mila was my one source of survival.

The entirety of my Sunday consisted of me racking my brains for a date fit for her. I thought about the soppy shit like picnics, the movies; a spring walk, but they were all predictable. I could not bear to be predictable with Mila.

After a joint and a hardcore munchies session, I somehow decided to open my emails. And bingo. An advertisement for the type of date Mila would never forget.

The hardest part was tracking her down at school and convincing her to still come. Come fifth period, I finally found her lounging on the field with Nadiya. She was never easy to locate, that girl, whenever I wanted her she was always far far away.

"There you are!" I breathed out, wiping the layer of sweat from my forehead. "I've been looking for you everywhere."

Nadiya rolled her eyes and covered her face with her hair from the sun.

"Just making you work for it." Mila sat up and shaded her eyes so that she could see me better. I stepped in the way of its gleam to make it easier for her.

"So, how bout that date, Nikolaev?"

"You really don't give up, do you?" Her chin pointed to the sky, letting the rays reflect off of her now golden-kissed skin.

"Nope."

Mila sighed and stood up. "Okay, go on, gimme a date and time."

"I'll pick you up at seven tonight. What's your address?"

It had to be that night, I couldn't give her any more time to reconsider.

Mila's back straightened. There was no mistaking the body language. She was uncomfortable and, fuck, did I hate it. I wanted my Mila glowing, happy, and the pure bundle of joy she usually was. I wasn't sure back then what it was that worried her, so I just ignorantly ignored it.

"Erm, I won't be home later," she mumbled.

"Right..." I looked at her funny. "Where will you be?"

That's when Nadiya peaked through her crispy bleached hair at Mila scratching the back of her head - begging for an excuse. Looking back, I respect Nadiya a lot more for what she did for Mila - she was a good friend.

"Pick her up at mine." She plonked her head back down with a disgruntled sound, leaving Mila and me to it.

"See you at seven." I left her awkwardly playing with the daisy chain she had fashioned around her wrist.