05 | tranquility base hotel and casino

Eli.

It was quite possibly the dumbest idea Eli Moskowitz had ever had. All he needed was one hundred dollars from the reserve fund his parents had set up. As the online poker king, he expected to multiply that dollar value well into the hundred thousands.

It was supposed to be enough to bail Miguel out of jail. Or so he had planned.

Three bad Texas Hold 'Em hands later, and he was five hundred dollars down, with no signs of stopping. It turns out that using real money in a real Vegas casino was nothing like using PokerStars on his computer for free.

The man across from Eli was wearing a cowboy hat, dressed up in a pristine white suit. He spoke with a Georgian accent. "Now listen to me boy, you sure you don't wanna stop before you lose your life savings and end up on the street?"

Eli glared, downing another sip of whatever was in the scotch glasses at the poker table. "Fat chance, old man. I just need to find my groove."

The woman sitting next to him smirked. Her dress was made of green sequins, and her breath smelled like Jack Daniels. For a while, his karate sensei had smelled the same way. "You;ve been saying that for the last three hands, little one.Are you sure you're ready to gamble in the big leagues?"

Eli turned to the dealer, desperate to prove himself. "Count me in. Whatever these guys are betting."

It was a long game. The casino had no windows, and everything that happened inside the casino seemed to get sucked into a void. He had no idea how long he had been sitting at the table, but was very pleased to find that he lasted more hands than White Suit and Green Dress combined.

When he laid down his cards, he was shocked. So shocked for a second, that he thought he had lost it all. Everybody at the table turned and stared at the frat boy, the stunned expression on his porcelain face.

"I think I just won."

Robby.

Robby and Lennon's night on the town was off to a far less dramatic start as the two young adults picked up cocktails and wandered the brightly-lit Vegas streets, hand-in-hand and giddy on sugar. Lennon was a sightseer, stopping repeatedly to take pictures in front of the miniature pyramid of Giza, the small replicas of the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower. Her laugh was like a drug for Robby Keene, and he would do whatever it took to be able to hear Lennon laugh like that. Lennon's black leather jacket was slipping off her shoulders, her blue eyes wide.