1 •• The start

The late afternoon sun sheen through the window of a building in a bright yellow glow, warming up the face of a boy in a blue striped shirt and black baggy pants. The light was making him  uncomfortable as he watched his mother prepare dinner. Her fingers moving gracefully as she cooked everything into whatever she hoped for a good dish.

He smiled at the sight of her, before looking down at her cooking, and then decided to assist her.

"Here, I can help." He said as he picked up a spoon laying at the corner of the counter, Mrs Kroger turned toward him with a sweet smile.

"Please tell me when you're done!" She nodded, handing him the mixing bowl before  she turned to the oven to check on the beef inside, leaving the boy standing by counter.

"How are your classes going?" Mrs Kroger suddenly asked as she brought out the beef from the oven.

"Huh? Oh, they're going well..." Jasper answered with a thoughtful hum. He could  recall how stressed he was on Monday, but it wasn't too bad since his classmates were kind enough to try to help him. It felt wonderful since none of them seem like they hate each other, which means there aren't any bullies or drama. So, he thinks that the stress had all been worth it. At least for now.

Mrs Kroger smiled brightly at him, "I'm glad, dear. I'm proud of you." She added in, causing the teenage boy to smile brightly in return.

"Mom, when is dad coming back?" A girl in a black dress designed with green roses, walked into the kitchen.

Mrs. Kroger turned toward her with a smile. "Your dad will be back before midnight, sweetie," She answered.

The dark-haired girl nodded, running towards the backyard with a doll in her hand. Jasper continued mixing and everything seemed quiet for a moment until a knock on the door interrupted everything.

"Who could that possibly be...?" Mrs. Kroger trailed off as she turned around and walked over to the door, she peeped through the pinhole in the door and saw a familiar face of an elderly man whom she dreaded his return standing with two guys behind him. She ran back to the kitchen breathing heavily.

"Jasper, go to your room now!" Mrs. Kroger whispered slowly.

Jasper looked at her confused. "Mom, why? Who's that?"

"I'll tell you later, go to your room!" The sound of fear and sadness in her voice, made him hurriedly washed his hands and ran up the stairs.

Mrs. Kroger walked to the door, she took a deep breath before she opened it. The man walked in without waiting for her permission. His body statue weird to describe as he is practically taller and his brown suit spotless with an enormous beard which Mrs Kroger thought of as his wicked signature. Two guys dressed completely in black followed him closely behind.

Jasper peeped curiously at the strangers, through a small space close to the stairs. This wasn't the first time he had seen those men coming to visit and whenever they do, his parents would always ask him to hide.

"Mariam, how are you and your family?" The man forced a smile through his mousy beard as he collapsed into one of the couches in the living room.

"We're fine," Mrs. Kroger replied. Her hands shaking in fear.

"You know why I'm here, So let's not take anything further go in and get my money!" He groaned with clenched teeth as if he was waiting for a moment to devour something.

"My husband isn't home at the moment. The money isn't here!" Mrs. Kroger murmured staring at the floor while she speaks.

A devilish smile escaped Mr Eric lips as he signaled for his men to grab Mrs Kroger. They took her by arms and forced her to kneel opposite him, tears filled her eyes as she pleaded.