I'm Doing This For You

Ronda chews on her bottom lip as she carefully fixes Nancy and Jonathan's hands. The two of them sit beside each other, watching Ronda's hands work quickly. Robbie has a large wrench in his hands. He stares down at the large blood stains on the carpet. The red dots are spread out, and the smell of danger fills Robbie's senses. The house creaks in the wind as the four teenagers sit silently waiting.

Nancy looks away from Ronda, eyes filled with fear. "Did you hear that?"

Jonathan tries to give her an assuring look. It doesn't work too well, "It's just the wind. Don't worry." Jonathan stares at Ronda, who continues wiping dried blood from his skin. "My mom, she said the lights speak when it comes."

"Speak?" retorts Robbie.

"Blink. Think of them as alarms."

Ronda tapes Jonathan's hand. She stares at him. "Is that too tight?"

Jonathan winces slightly, shaking his head. "No, it's fine," he sputters. "Thanks."

Robbie watches as Ronda gathers up the supplies and heads to the kitchen. Her shadow is dull in the faint light of the lamp in the corner of the living room. Robbie exhales, rising to his feet. He moves into the kitchen after Ronda.

"Hey, Ronnie..."

Ronda wraps her hands around the counter by the sink. She rocks herself, sniffling loudly. Her head is bowed, using her hair to hide her face. Ronda bites down on her tongue to stop herself from crying.

"Ronnie..." Robbie repeats, walking up behind her. He sets his wrench down.

Ronda turns to face her brother, sobbing quietly. She buries herself in his arms. Robbie holds her tight, closing his eyes. The exchange doesn't last long. Everyone in the house jumps at the sound of the front door being knocked on.

"Jonathan?" Steve calls through the front door. He pounds on it. "Are you there, man? It's—it's Steve!"

Robbie picks up his wrench again, moving to lean against the archway in the kitchen. Ronda comes to stand behind him. She wipes at her eyes.
Nancy stares at the door in confusion.

"Listen, I just want to talk!" Steve adds, his voice loud.

Nancy opens the front door as little as possible. "Steve, listen to me."

Hey." Steve furrows his eyebrows. He isn't expecting Nancy. "Nancy, what—"

"You need to leave," she cuts in, her voice sending out the warning in hopes he'll understand.

"No..." Steve shakes his head. "I'm not trying to start anything, okay?"

"I don't care about that. You need to leave," she repeats.

"No, no, no," he tries, stammering with urgency. Steve desperately just wants someone to listen to him tonight. He needs people to know that he cares. "Listen, I messed up, okay?" Steve hits the front door in frustration at his struggle to admit his faults. "I messed—I messed up. Okay? Really. Please. I just want to make things right. Okay? Please. Please..."

Nancy gives him a gentle look. Steve frowns, noticing the bandage on her hand. "Hey, what happened to your hand?" He grabs it, noticing the blood seeping through. "Is that blood?"

Nancy puts it away, hiding it behind her back. "Nothing. I-It was an accident."

"Yeah, what's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Wait a sec. Did he do this to you?"

"No."