I Know it's Hard to Believe

"Remember, finish chapter twelve and answer 12.3 on the difference between an experiment and other forms of science investigation," Mr. Clarke, the science teacher, calls as many of the students rush to leave class. "This will be on the test, which will cover chapters ten through twelve. It will be multiple choice with an essay section," Mr. Clarke's voice trails off.

Mike, Dustin, and Lucas all stand at Mr. Clarke's desk, eager.

Chris enters the classroom, fixing the backpack strap on her shoulder. She smiles widely. Her eyes wander between the three boys and Mr. Clarke. Will still isn't around. Chris decides not to worry about it, but if Jonathan hadn't even seen him in the morning, and he wasn't at school, where was he?

"So, did it come?" she wonders, pushing her darker thoughts aside.

"Sorry, boys, Chris. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but—it came."

"Yes!"

Mr. Clarke leads them to the room, where a giant radio sits on a desk, ready to use. The four of them crowd around the object excitedly.

"The Heathkit ham shack. Whoa." Mike picks up some headphones.

"Ain't she a beaut?" wonders Mr. Clarke.

"I bet you can talk to New York on this thing," says Dustin, turning a knob.

"Think bigger."

"California?" asks Lucas.

"Bigger."

"Australia?" suggests Chris, reminiscing in the days when she was their age. She feels old, all of a sudden. Mr. Clarke nods to Chris's suggestion.

Lucas laughs, "Oh, man! When Will sees this, he's totally gonna blow his shit."

"Lucas!"

"Sorry." Lucas bows his head, but his excitement quickly overcomes his slip-up.

"Hello, this is Mike Wheeler, president of Hawkins Middle AV Club," Mike says into the microphone.

Chris leans forward in her seat. "What are you doing?"

"Hello, this is Dustin, and this is the secretary and treasurer of Hawkins Middle AV Club. Do you eat kangaroos for breakfast?" He glances at Mike and Lucas, who laugh at his little joke. Chris rolls her eyes.

The door to the office opens again and Hopper, Powell, Callahan, and the principal enter. Hopper looks at the four of them, his eyes landing on Chris.

"Sorry to interrupt, but, uh, may I borrow Michael, Lucas, and Dustin?" He sighs, eyes locking with Chris Hopper. "Chris, too?"

Mike, Dustin, and Lucas are seated on the couch in the principal's office with Mike in the middle. Chris sits on the arm next to Lucas. The three boys talk rapidly, trying to speak over each other and tell Hopper what they know. Chris, whether it be simple curiosity, having a father as the Chief of Police, or because of that hauntly feeling in her stomach, tries to listen intently.

"Okay, okay, okay," Hopper says, his voice rising to get them to keep quiet. Powell and Callahan sit on either side of him. "One at a time, all right?" Hopper points to Mike. "You. You said he takes what?"

"Mirkwood," Mike answers.

"Mirkwood?"

"Yeah."

Hopper looks between Callahan and Powell. "Have you ever heard of Mirkwood?"

"I have not," says Powell, shaking his head.

"That sounds made up to me," comments Callahan.

Chris rolls her eyes as Lucas says, "No, it's from Lord of the Rings."