19 | 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐑𝐒

The night before Halloween, you lie down in a field full of green. There's few bright colors, flowers dying out by the earthly tones of brown, orange, red and yellow.

You close your eyes, taking a deep breath. Arms extended on both sides, you float on grass with the smallest sign of a simper left on your lips.

A single tear trickles down the side of your face, losing itself on deep green. You sniffle, quiet enough to pass through the crickets' tune.

It doesn't matter how many times you've stared at death head on. Every single time you find your soul walking through that dark space; nothing but gloom around, it's new —it's the first time.

There's no such thing as familiarity when you witness calamity at its prime.

Perhaps, it's not a bad thing. It's the only ray of hope to get you out.

You don't want it to be second nature, but as time passes, the blood on your hands' closer to itching itself onto your skin —to become a part of you.

"Are you crying?"

The light glows brighter; you leave that place. Your hands are not stained in red and your body belongs to you.

The starry night doesn't smile down at you. Instead, Baji's long hair tickles your skin as he crouches down behind the top of your head. His eyes are fully on your own.

"A little bit." You whisper out, content at the sky above. A sculpted dome in all its glory, with sparkling stones and contrasting clouds.

Baji sits crossed legged behind, cradling your head with both of his hands as he brings you to his lap —a gentleness not quite common to be seen.

"Tomorrow's the day." He nods. His thumbs play with your features, brushing through your cheeks.

While you gawk at the painted ceiling that makes the room, Baji gazes past the muses that fill in the loneliness within the emptiness.

And truth is, Baji has never been to a museum before, but the mere picture of your sprawled out body illuminated by the stars that shape over in their canvas, leaves him wanting to be framed for an exhibit.

Except it's private; only he's allowed to visit and stare.

"You are different today." You point out, Baji's touch halting —not leaving your skin.

Your eyes shift, from the sky to him. He frowns, the wildness of his hair shielding you from his full expression.

His head moves up, a throaty hum leaving his throat. You can only see his chin, unknown to the melancholic spark that glazes his eyes.

"Allow me, just for today."

Giggling, the smile is plastered on your face once he looks back down. He pinches the sides of your face, pulling on them for him to snort.

"I like it."

"Huh?!" You stare back at the squint in his eyes, nose scrunched up and lips the slightest bit parted.

Sighing, one of your hands grabs one of his, tracing past his bruised knuckles with your thumb. You bite your bottom lip, containing the silly smile ready to break in.

"I really like your wildness, the side of you that beats up guys in gangs or that threatens to burn down cars." You think back on the beginning, laughing at the memory. "But I can't help but love all the care and fondness you have for your friends."

"For the people I love."

Baji's hair is pushed back by the puff of fresh air, his reddened ears exposed to you. His hands move to cover your eyes the moment your first laugh spurts.