41 | 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐌𝐘𝐀𝐑𝐃 𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐃

"Nanako!" You breathe out her name, panting. Polished shoes stomp on the pavement, sliding along a thin layer of ice with a flailing arm to balance. The other clutches books and notebooks, pressed to your chest. "Nana!"

Once upon a time, the wharf wasn't just a dockyard, instead it was a boulevard for dreamers. That big stage belonged to two little girls, ones who'd make it their safe place.

They'd hide between the multicolored containers, filling out a mind map of what they deemed a reverie for a maze. One would trip on her feet, while the other gave out a joyous laugh with big enough power to restore energy.

One wintry night, when the two girls pretended to be women from a 50s movie with a chronic smoking problem due to the reactionary steam, they made the shipyard theirs. Baptized it as a place only meant for them, a view beyond the port and the sea surrounding it.

So, the kingdom belonging to the two became Dreemyard. A name reflecting the naivety of children, but also the undisputed hope —misspelling aside.

Nanako turns around, leaving the open sea behind her. Her eyes widen, brightening as she beams at the nearing figure. Raising her arm, she waves at you from the comfort of a self proclaimed home.

"You're back!" She exclaims your name, joy splashing out of her in echoes around the empty space. "You're not grounded anymore."

You hop over in huge steps, stopping right in front of her with a hand on your knee, slumped. Regaining your breath, everything you've been holding slides from your hold, dropping and in some cases, being left open on the ground.

Bending your knees with a groan, bones rattle in hissing cracks. You take each notebook and stack a tower, swiping your hands over the covers as you do so. Your brows furrow, pouting.

"I wussn—" Taking a deep breath, one where you can see your own chest rising even from behind your thick coat, you lie down embraced by the frigid pavement. "I wasn't grounded."

Nanako grimaces, teeth against teeth in awkward posture. Shaking her head in an exaggerated manner, she sits cross-legged on the ground. Her back hunches forward, not wanting her hands to sting from the searing ice.

Blowing a vexed breath, she pokes her tongue out at you when you aren't looking, an unimpressed stare berating you. Her index finger presses your cheek, skin pushed back eliciting a grunt out of you.

"Yeah, you were." She accuses you, rolling her eyes at your lack of a reaction. Pulling her legs closer to her chest, her arms hug them, chin on her naked knees from old tears on her pants. "My dad said if you helped someone else you could've gotten kidnapped."

You catch onto the distress following her voice, although the sprinkles of gratitude for helping her dad don't go unnoticed either.

Behind closed lips you chuckle, forming a goofy curve which displays a smile rather than a smirk. Your eyebrows lift, vocal chords trembling from the sound of your titters.

"I like naps."

A farcical observation, one pinning onto your smile and its willingness on making it contagious. Nanako tilts her head, processing your thoughts before squinting at your content figure.

She calls for your gaze, instantly swiping her way. Narrowing her eyes at your witty tease, followed by a remark, she ignores your daft response as giggles begin to follow her disbelief —fading it.

Tears brimming in the corners of her vivacious eyes, she pushes them back with a single finger. Her laughing disperses into short, dwindling chuckles.

A peaceful simper settles on your face, blinking and facing away from her. You take a huge breath in.