Chapter 1

I sat at the back of the defence against the dark arts classroom, dreading the pink toad's arrival. I rested my head in my hands as the Patil twins created a paper crane that soared over our heads. I tried to block out the other students cruelly battering it until it suddenly burst into flames and landed back on the Patil twin's desk. 

"Good morning children" we heard a grating voice appear behind us. Heads turned to glare at the pink thing behind us. "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O W L's, more commonly known as OWLs"  she spoke with great enthusiasm as she walked slowly between the desks to face us.

I just wanted to go up there and rub that pathetic grin off of her face. As our textbooks were handed out to us she droned on. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven... but you'll be pleased to know from now on you will be following a carefully structured ministry approved course of defensive magic" 

"What the hell is she talking about?" I whispered to Draco who just shrugged, not even bothering to take a look at the textbook that just appeared in front of him. 

My attention was brought back to the lady as someone raised their hand, "there's nothing in here about using defensive spells" I could see a mass of beautiful golden brown curls from the speaker. 

"Using spells, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom" she obnoxiously smiled as she walked closer to the poor girl. "We're not gonna use magic?" a redhead boy spoke out in confusion. 

"We will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way" she tried to reason before Potter spoke up. "Well, what use is that if we're gonna be attacked, it won't be risk-free". 

I nudged Draco "he's got a point" but his reply was just a simple eye roll. "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class" she spoke with aggression although she had her back to us. 

Suddenly she turned back around with another huge grin, making me clench my fists. "It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations which after all, is what school is all about" but before I could even react, Potter spoke up again.

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there" he almost yelled. "There is nothing out there dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" she spoke, still smiling. Does her face not get tired of fake smiling? 

"Oh, I don't know... maybe Lord Voldemort" Potter said, causing the whole room to stop at the sound of his name. Draco sat up and began paying attention to the conflict. 

Umbridge stood, in shock. She didn't quite know what to do with herself as she looked around the classroom, "Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie."

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him" Harry reasoned once more with the woman now standing next to him. "Detention, Mr Potter!" she yelled, briskly walking back to her place at the front of the classroom.

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry yelled. "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident" 

I decided to stand and speak up, I could not deal with this woman any longer. "You weren't there so how would you know? You seem to be treating this subject very lightly. Most people would want to prepare us for the worst case that Voldemort has returned, yet you are arguing with a student rather than doing what you actually are here to do" I stated with an angry expression. 

"Enough! Detention for you also, Miss Black" the woman screeched. I barely even flinched. Before I took my seat, I noticed the same brunette facing me with a gently smirk across her face at my words. I realised I was still standing when Draco pulled me into my seat.

"Seriously Delphi? You clearly didn't listen when my mother told you not to cause havoc. You really are your mother's daughter" Draco whispered. "Sorry Dray, I just couldn't bear to hear another word come out of her mouth" I sighed. 

"Yes well, now you have earned yourself a detention with her so was it really worth it?" he asked. I just shrugged, knowing he was right. My first day back and I already have detention, to make it worse... with Potter.