Running Out of Answers

Outside the mess hall the three who could speak told the officer what had happened. He thought it was a joke. Soon more cops arrived. Jojo and Jay recounted most of the story. Rodrigo went numb mentally and just saw the faces of everyone who was missing screaming out for help. No matter what it looked like, they did not kill anyone.

That was what the asshole cops believed happened. Right from the start that was what Jay and Rodrigo heard. Officer Stevens didn't believe there was a man in the lake who drowned their associate or butchered Old Bill. The cop hadn't visited the camp because the two of them had mentioned the letters, the pig head, or the missing brother earlier that day. Officer Stevens was there because Thomas Wilkins was dead.

He came to question the couple and found the fags in a whole mess of trouble. His words. Rodrigo wanted to argue after being called the slur but Jay helped him keep his cool. Rodrigo couldn't hide his emotions after the events that took place. He was afraid and angry. Cassie was so bloodied that Officer Stevens immediately cuffed everyone. After everything that happened only two of the seven future camp counselors were accounted for. The rest were missing.

As far as the cops knew, they never existed. The couple tried their best to explain that the bodies were taken but it fell on deaf ears. The cops found some bodies but not the ones the trio spoke of. The only ones that mattered were Thomas Wilkins and Old Bill. Or what was left of them. The cops kept trying to pin everything on Rodrigo and Jay. The gay couple who came to Crystal Lake to fulfill their dark fantasies.

Jay told the cops about the letters and threats to their house before they arrived. They talked about how the first few days had a few bizarre incidents. The cops kept asking if Thomas visited. Jay and Rodrigo hadn't seen him since they settled and paid up. Officer Stevens didn't believe them. Thomas Wilkins was a man of the town. They must have seen him in those seven days they worked on the camp.

Though it had only been an hour, the cops asked so many questions that it felt like days. The trio were not giving the answers the cops wanted to hear. Jay told them about the moss covered man from the lake. The one with a hockey mask and barbed wire on his head. He told him of the murders. The cops asked about Old Bill. Jay tried to paint him as a hero but the officers just saw the couple as villains.

Officer Stevens spun a different story. A young gay couple from out of town buys an abandoned camp site. They intend to use it for illicit and wicked things. The couple gets high on tainted water supply and goes on a killing spree. The couple even keeps a patsy survivor and promises them money to cover their tracks. Jojo would cave once they realized there was no money.

Rodrigo was furious. He saw the number seven, the crooked little lake, and the cabins covered in blood. The man from the lake swung his machete and hacked his friends to pieces. First Trey then Lauren. Marc, Tina, and Debra too. All cut to pieces and left to rot in the spring sun. In the flashes of mayhem the killer was Jay. It was Rodrigo. It was Thomas Wilkins. Rodrigo knew the man from the lake was real and didn't care what the cops said.

On the ride to the police station, the cop told them about finding a body that was bound and naked. He was found a few miles from the camp. They also said they found a girl. The cop said if they wanted to be free, they'd better say who killed who. Cassie was taken to the hospital before the others could see if she was ok. The rest were all separated and put in different holding cells. The small cement room was uncomfortable and offered only a single window that looked out into the police station itself.

Rodrigo could see Jay sobbing in his cell but there was no sign of Jojo. Rodrigo wanted to comfort Jay. He knew that couldn't happen. When they had Jay recount his story at the station they showed him pictures of the bodies. One of them was Trey. It looked like he had been tied in some rope and strangled. Jay had been crying ever since.

There was so much talking and screaming after the massacre that Rodrigo welcomed the silence of his jail cell. It was cold and unforgiving like the thoughts that lingered in Rodrigo's mind. After the three survivors were taken to the station he retold his story one more time. Was it all just a hallucination? Bad water at the camp? No matter what the cops said, they did not kill anyone.

It was clear that the deranged cops were going to put the blame on Jay and Rodrigo. Their questions only led to their answers. If they didn't, they simply moved on to the next one. Jay and Rodrigo told them about Marc being mutilated. Jojo told them about Lauren. Jay wanted to see his brother Trey. No one would stop to look for Debra in the lake.

Once they were in their cells, the atmosphere felt stale. Like it was all over for the three of them. An officer with a face like a skeleton tried to get Rodrigo to turn on Jay and Rodrigo felt hope was all but diminished. Would he be given a phone call? He thought about calling his mom and telling her he was sorry.

Rodrigo felt guilty. So much life lost and for what? A silly dream about a camp. Rodrigo burst into tears and sobbed in the quiet of his cell. Then he heard it. There was a strange commotion outside. The officers began to stir and act a little more crazy than before. As if something was happening that they did not expect. It was hard to fully understand but Rodrigo could hear them question one another.

Who was going to handle what? What do they do with the gays? The other one? Who had the paperwork. There was a gunshot. Officer Cod and an officer with red hair appeared looking for Stevens. It was out of their control. The town was massacred. They needed to contain this before it got out of Crystal Lake. Officer Stevens cursed Mr.Wilkins.

Suddenly more officers appeared and took Jay from his cell. Jay tried to fight them but that was all Rodrigo could see before the lights cut out. Everything in the police station went dark and then the screaming started. It was matched with the haunting symphony of gunshots and destruction. An hour to midnight and the unlucky Friday was almost over.