5

It was only a couple hours until Izuku got home from school, but those hours felt like days to the 5 year old.

As soon as he got home he threw his shoes off, put his backpack by the table and rushed off to Toyas room. He was about to open the door but was pulled back by his mother at the last second.

"Mama?" Izuku asked, clueless as to why he was being stopped just before he could turn the knob.

"Honey, Toya is sleeping now so let's give him a little bit of time for himself. Did you want to help me in the kitchen?" Inko said, redirecting the conversation as she led her son into the kitchen.

"What are we making?" Izuku asked.

"We are going to make a big batch of cookies" Inko smiled, handing the boy a mixing bowl as she got the butter out of the fridge.

"Yay!" Izuku cheered, his eyes lighting up with excitement. "Then we can share them with Toya-chan when he wakes up!"

Inkos smile dropped at the comment. Placing the eggs and flour next to the butter she turned towards the boy.

"Izuku, there's something I need to tell you" Inko started, "let's go sit at the table"

Izuku sat carefully in his seat, worried about what his mother might have to say.

Was Toya really alright? Is he sick? He couldn't have left, could he? Did he die!?

Every consecutive thought the poor 5 year old had only got worse and worse.

"Hey, no tears. Toya is going to be just fine, I promise" Inko said gently, cupping her son's cheek.

"Then what's wrong?"

Inko sighed. Ideally she wouldn't be having this conversation with Izuku until he is much closer to the age when he would be having to deal with these symptoms.

"Toya is experiencing something called a ghost cycle. Have you heard that term yet at school?" Inko asked.

Izuku shook his head, wiping the tears from his eyes before they could fall.

"Well, have you started learning about any of the dynamics yet?"

"Um, my teacher said once that she's an Omega. Does that count?" Izuku wondered.

"Yes, honey, that counts" Inko smiled, tugging the boy further until she was able to place him securely in her lap, hugging him tightly.

"At 14, everyone develops their second gender. There are three of those, Alpha, Beta, and Omega, just like your teacher" Inko explained.

"For a year, your second gender, or dynamic, stays dormant as the body adjusts to whatever changes need to occur. This is the second phase of presenting. Do you understand?" Inko asked, pausing to let her son think for a moment.

"What about the first phase?" Izuku asked.

"We'll get to that in a minute. Can I continue?" After a bit, he nodded and Inko continued.

"Alphas and omegas go through something special called a cycle for a period of time every month, you'll learn more about that when you're a little older. An alpha or an omega will start their cycles at 15, right after the year of adjusting the body needs. This is the third and final phase of presenting. Does that make sense?" Again Izuku nodded, taking in everything his mother was telling him.

"Now, the first phase is a little different for everyone but generally starts around the age of 12. This is when the body prepares for the second phase but most of all the third. It's what starts the process your body needs for change. The first phase simulates what one might feel during their cycle but toned down quite a bit"

"Is that what happened to Toya-chan?" Izuku asked.

"Yes," his mother nodded, "yes, I do believe that Toya has started the first phase of presenting, which means when he comes of age he will be either an alpha or an omega. What he's going through now is called a ghost cycle" Inko answered.

"Oh, but I thought Toya-chan was 11?" Izuku said thoughtfully.

"That's right, his ghost cycle is a little early, but there's nothing we need to worry about. It will pass in a few days"

"Does that mean I can't see Toya-chan till he's all better?"

"Maybe you can see when he wakes up, but for right now it's best to let him sleep through as much of it as he can" Inko said, "now come on, we have some cookies to bake!"

—-

When Toya finally woke up a couple of hours later, it was to a throbbing headache and a persistently dull pain in lower body.

Toya groaned as he attempted to turn himself over onto his side, only to give up halfway there and flop back onto his back.

He couldn't even be bothered to look when he heard his door creak open.

"Toya-chan? Are you awake yet?" A small voice asked, breaking through the quiet in the room.

Toya struggles to open his eyes, incredibly grateful that the lights are off.

"Toya?" Izuku asked again, a little quieter this time just in case he was still sleeping.

"Zu?" Toya rasped, his throat dry. He turned his head a bit to see the giant smile Izuku had on as he stood in the doorway.

Lifting a heavy limb, Toya beckoned for Izuku to come closer. The greenette didn't have to be told twice as he dashed over to the bed for carefully crawling onto.

"C'mere" The eleven year old spoke. He instantly relaxed as Izuku snuggled into Toyas side. He didn't feel as heavy and the pain aching in his body lessened to a tolerable degree.

Instantly, Toya felt at ease, breathing a sigh as he drifted off to sleep once more with Izuku cuddled up next to him.