familiar

It was a freezing cold morning when Teru was cleaning off some dust from a restaurant's counter.

It was five am, to be exact, on what seemed to be like a very uneventful Friday- as most people were still sleeping. There usually wasn't a need to be up so early.

Teru had worked at that restaurant as a part-time job for a while, it was mainly for a little extra money. It's not like he really needed it, but he didn't have much else to do. His brother was a witch and his sister was often playing with her friends. He was the oldest out of all three, leaving him to watch his siblings slowly grow up. It was painful, sure- but eventually, he did realize they had to be independent.

"No, I- I can't do that right now, I'm busy." he was taken by surprise when he heard someone step into the diner. "Look, I'm sorry- hey, that- let me talk! That doesn't have to do with anything! Quit being so difficult, I'm- what do you mean it's my fault? You're being an asshole! What? Wait, don't-"

It was a boy with messy red hair, and red (with the slightest bit of blue that he adored) eyes that could take your breath away. He had freckles that littered his cheeks like millions of groups of stars, they seemed endless.

But the boy also had horrid eyebags, he looked as if he hadn't slept in months- maybe even years. He held a phone tightly in his hands, arguing with whoever was on the other line despite being in public.

Not exactly the best first impression, but at least he looked lovely.

"..fine, I'll see you after school. We can talk about it by then. Okay.. see you later."

"Good morning." Teru spoke up after he put his phone down, "Seems like today's a bit rough for you, isn't it?"

"..morning." the stranger grumbled, he looked extremely unhappy. Maybe that was his natural face? Teru couldn't tell. "Yeah. I think I know that."

"Mmh." the blonde blinked, not wanting to drive a pretty looking stranger away. He gave a charming smile, one that everyone else would fall for easily. "Well, would you like me to get you a seat? Do you prefer seats by the window, or by the counter?"

"I don't care. Just give me a seat,"

"Alright, then. Come with me."

He led the boy to a table by the window, placing a menu onto it. Now that they were a little closer, Teru realized how tired the guest really seemed. Not just that- but he didn't fall for his charm, either. What was up with this guy?

"You should be all set. Let me know when you want to order something,"

"Thank you."

"Anytime~"

Teru went back to dusting off his counter, glancing over at the stranger's direction every now and then. He didn't read the menu, nor did he really do anything at all. He sat still, with his head buried in his arms. If the diner employee didn't know any better, he'd assume the boy had died right then and there. He looked like some sort of beautiful zombie when he first walked in, after all.

"Pardon me," he tapped the mess of red hair, "hello?"

"Whaa..?" the guest lifted his head, looking up at Teru. "Oh, shit- I must've fallen asleep, or something.. dammit."

"Mhm." he would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't curious, intrigued by this boy's lack of awareness. He was odd, but in an interesting way. "Are you alright there? Usually our customers don't pass out on our tables."

"Sorry, sorry.." the stranger mumbled, "I'm fine,"

Clearly, that wasn't true- just by looking at him, you would know he was going through something. Teru didn't push any further, though. "Well, have you chosen what you want to order? It's been a good while since you've arrived here."