selfish

The bell to the diner's door rang the next morning. It wasn't late, nor was it early- it was right on time, the same as it had always been.

"Aoi," there was no sweet greeting like usual. There wouldn't be one at all that day. "We need to talk-"

"I'd like a hot chocolate." Akane pressed a ten dollar bill onto the counter Teru stood behind. He wasn't wearing his uniform, and his hair seemed brushed slightly. He looked a little different. "And then I have to be on my way."

"What?" Teru furrowed his eyebrows, pushing the money back. "Mei-chan isn't here yet, she's with Yashiro-san. She can't make you anything until she arrives, but I need you to take a seat for a moment so-"

"I can't. I have to leave,"

"I know your schedule." Was Akane lying to his face? He felt irritated already. Usually he was able to keep calm, but yesterday had led him to be the opposite. "You aren't busy until five thirty. It's only five."

"My schedule changed. I'm busy today,"

"What are you so busy for, then? If I remember correctly, you told me that Fridays are the least busy days of your week. Especially in the mornings."

Akane pushed his glasses up impatiently. He was clearly in some sort of rush. "That's none of your business, Minamoto-san." he hissed, "The fact that you could even remember that much surprises me. Can I just get my hot chocolate and go? Can't you make it yoursel-"

"I remember that you also told me you trusted me. Why won't you tell me what you have to do?"

"I didn't say I trusted you with everything in my damn life."

Were they really about to argue in an empty diner at five in the morning?

"Sorry." Akane quickly blurted out, "I just have to get going. I have to do something with my parents."

"You told me your parents are awfully busy and rarely home."

"How the hell did you remember all of that?" his face scrunched up in confusion, "You know what? That's not the point. They're home today and we're going to be busy."

"Can you just make thirty minutes of extra time?"

"No. I don't have it today, I need-"

"Aoi.. please,"

"Tch.."

Teru saw the hesitation on Akane's face. They both knew he wasn't one to actually say please unless he was playing around.. So it must have been important.

"Fine. But make it quick."

The two sat across from each other at Akane's usual table.

It was awkward, to say the least.

Neither of them wanted to say a word.

It wasn't exactly completely quiet, though. There were people outside, even if it was very few- they made plenty of noise. It watered down the tension ever so slightly.

"So.." it was Akane who ended up breaking the silence. "What are we supposed to be talking about? You haven't said shit since we sat here.. Can I just go already?"

"You and I both know what we need to talk about. You can't leave yet." Teru tried not to make his voice too sharp. He was upset and wouldn't show it, that was just how he was. Quote unquote.. Perfect. "Yesterday, you.."

"I don't know-"

"Don't avoid the conversation," he quickly cut Akane off, "I'm not playing around today. Why did you run off?"