22//~the competition~

We're a mess,You and I,
but the truth is,
you captivate me in ways,
no soul ever will

"Aaj ka padav either hi dalenge," Kunwar Pratap announced. Heer opened the curtains. It was mid afternoon, we still had a lot of sunlight left. We could travel a lot further and besides, we had barely crossed Bijolia's border.

"Abhi to aur thoda chal sakte hain na?" Saubhagyavati asked because I had told her to. "Keval Bijolia ki sima par ki hain ab tak,"

"Aap ke liye ek uphaar hain," Chakrapani said. They stared at each other desperately in love. Lovesick fools. I would never ever let that happen to myself and for Kunwar Pratap? Never in my worst nightmare because I have now stopped liking him and find him very annoying.

"Ajabde aur aap sab tayar ho jaiye, ek bhavya mela laga hain," Kunwar Pratap said. "Bhes badal ke jaana hain,"

"Hume nahi chalna," I said. I was not really in the mood. "Aap sab jaiye, hum aapke liye bhojan ka praband karte hain,"

"Ajabdeee," Kunwar Pratap said smirking. "Koi tark vitark nahi chalega,"

I stopped myself from voicing my displeasure at this bossy prince. We all got out of the palki and went into our tents to get changed.

Heer, Saubhagyavati, and I had opted for the simplest version of jewelry that we owned and the simplest clothes we had. We covered our heads with proper veils. I had chosen this outfit only because the dupatta was so pretty and flowy.

We went outside to find the boys waiting for us all dressed up like commoners as well. Kunwar Pratap was wearing a white cotton kurta and a blue pagdi.

"Chaliye," Kunwar Shakti said and we all hopped onto a bullock cart and headed to the meal. I would have regretted not coming here, that was for sure. Unlike the other one, this was less of a market and more of an experience with several games and stands.

The entire mela was packed. There were kids playing around and couples of all ages were shopping and walking around. Saubhagyavati and Chakrapani left to go do something on their own and Heer, Heer had seen so many things she had wanted to buy so she too wanted to go.

"Ajabde chaliye humare saath, woh jhumke dekhiye. Humare uss kaale lehenge ke sang kitne adhik sundar lagenge," she said grabbing my hand.

"Chaliye," I said.

"Nahi nahi Heer, Ajabde nahi ja sakti," Kuwnar Pratap said. "Ek hi to din hain humare pass humari sari baatein manvane ka,"

"Uhh abb, Aap Bhai Shakti ko lejaiye," he said volunteering Kunwar Shakti.

"Dada Bhai, hume kyu phasa rahe hain-"

"Dekhiye koi aur humare jhoomke le jaiyega," Heer said to Kuwnar Shakti. "Chaliye aap," and she dragged the poor man.

I shook my head at Kuwnar Pratap but the atmosphere was so beautiful to stay mad at anyone. I couldn't help but look around and enjoy myself.

"Kitna sundar chitra hain na," I automatically said as my eyes fell onto the picture of Radha Krishna. Kunwar Pratap's eyes fell on the same painting.

"Adbhut hain. Eetna sundar chitra apne purna jeevan mein kabhi nahi dekha," Kunwar Pratap said. We walked toward the person who was displaying it.

"Yeh chitra ka mool kya hain?" Kunwar Pratap asked.

"Yeh chitra to pratispardha mein puruskaar hain, bechne ko nahi hain," the vendor said. I was instantly disappointed at the answer. That painting was truly the most beautiful thing I had ever laid my eyes on.

"Kaisi pratispardha Kaka," Kunwar Pratap asked.

"Jodiyo ki pratispardha hain. Kuch kariyo mein jo jodi aval aiyegi us hi jodi ko yeh chitra puruskar mein milega," the vendor replied.

✔️Tale as Old as Time (Kunwar Pratap/Ajabde [Praja])जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें