9. This is a warning. (Beware of dog)

Ami Kirio, upon the start of his enrolment in Babyls, was given three rules.

"Keep your room clean, don't touch any women, and don't meet Vassago Soyo," his Ani-san had told him.

Kirio had teased him. "You're so cruel, you're policing my pleasure habits?"

The concussion was worth it.

But he understood the warnings very quickly. Maybe too late.

It had been a random whim, on some nondescript day, when he sat upon the hidden room and looked over the one-sided glass— only to find Vassago Soyo staring right at him, from the middle of the courtyard.

It sent shivers down his spine.

It's impossible. It was easy to spot Soyo, since he's wearing red among the sea of blue, their eyes couldn't be meeting— this wall looks brick-lined from outside.

Kirio can't help the ecstatic smile growing on his face.

"Can he sense something off about this wall? That is so interesting. I wanna kill him. I wanna kill him and see what he sees, I want it so bad."

He doesn't know for sure if Soyo truly saw him.

But uncertainty is the core of excitement.

"The Vassago family is such a thrill," he sighs, entranced by that scrutinizing glare. "Any moment and I'll ruin so many years of undercover work! Any moment now."

-

Soyo is having a bad day. Nothing in particular was going wrong in his life or anything, it's just that his leg hurt too much to properly get up, so Ameri gave him a day off.

This wasn't fair.

"I'm going to kill someone," Soyo says. He has gone back and forth from lying down to sitting down, and then whining while curling up under his covers, for the past couple minutes. Grave, who was getting ready for the day, just watched in amusement.

"You sound like Smoke on her Evil Cycle," Grave points out. "And her Moon Cycle too. My condolences."

"I can start with you."

"Exactly like her," Quichelight snaps his fingers, peeking into the room. "Uncanny!"

"Stop messing around," Western pulls Quiche back from the door, "hurry up, Grave."

Today was Battler Recruitment Day, aka the infamous Rookie Hunt. Soyo can hear the countdown from the senior tower. It sounded like a haunting of tortured souls, drooling for their first taste of meat in years.

Soyo sulks on his bed, and now he's drooling because he's hungry.

The teachers were handling what little crowd control they'd enforce (which wasn't much at all. This was a day for them to run wild and boil students in a pot for all they cared,) so the Student Council's only job was to make an appearance and recruit freshmen of their own. So basically they just had to walk out there and look badass and that was done.