Chapter 1

Mapleshade and Patchkit, Petalkit and Larchkit were standing at the edge of the river. It was swollen, roaring at the banks. Patchkit burrowed into her fur and whimpered. She took a deep breath. Now or never. She spotted the stepping-stones, almost completely submerged. 

"Kits, I'm going to carry you across, one by one." she fought to stop her voice from shaking. She leaned down and grabbed Patchkit, then gave a mighty leap and landed on the first stepping stone, and slipped. She fought to regain balance, scraping her claws on hard rock. She calmed down and managed to get a grip on the smooth stone. Without other difficulties, she reached the other side. She gently put Patchkit down and returned to the other bank. Grasping Petalkit by the scruff, she repeated the process and landed safely on the other side. But when she came back, there was no sign of Larchkit. "Larchkit!" Mapleshade yowled, her fur bristling. What if those ThunderClan traitors had captured her poor kit? But a moment later she found him cowering in a bush, shaking from nose to tail. She reached in and pulled him out. "Mama, I'm scared!" He whimpered.

"Shhh, it's alright. We'll soon be in RiverClan, where you'll be safe." she gave him a few licks on the head before carrying him to the RiverClan side of the river. A moment later, a patrol found them. Appledusk was in the lead, with a couple of his clanmates. When he spotted her and her kits shivering at the edge of the river, he bounded over with worry in his eyes. His clanmate was faster.

"ThunderClan spy! I should've known!" he hissed, his fur bristling.

"Splashfoot, stop! That's a queen and her kits, can't you see?" Appledusk snarled. A gray-and-black tabby looked at both of her clanmates, then at Mapleshade. 

"What are you doing here?" Her tone was not completely unfriendly, just cool.

"ThunderClan drove me out... may I speak to Darkstar?" Appledusk's eyes widened, and the fourth cat of the patrol, a white she-cat, stepped up. 

"Sure. We'll take you to him." She gave Splashfoot a warning glance. 

But as the journey to the RiverClan camp continued, Petalkit, Larchkit and Patchkit were getting tired. Mapleshade's worry increased when Patchkit dropped far behind the patrol, and she raced to fetch him. She grabbed the orange-and-white kit and raced back to see Appledusk had already picked up Larchkit, with Petalkit riding on his back. She blinked at him gratefully and looked up to see the entrance of the RiverClan camp in front of her. 

Now, to make Darkstar let her in.