Chapter 5

Time had passed. Reedshine was still being held prisoner, but none of the cats really talked about that now. The new talk was about Patchkit, who had fully recovered, Larchkit and Petalkit.

"Let all cats old enough to swim the rapids gather around the Wet Rock for a clan meeting!" Darkstar had just called the meeting. Mapleshade was bursting with pride and excitement. Patchkit, a tuft of fur sticking up near the base of his tail, trembled with excitement and nerves next to her. Petalkit sat erect with her eyes shining and tail sticking up behind her. Larchkit was almost bouncing up and down with happiness.

Once everyone in the Clan was there, the three almost-not-kits stepped forward. Darkstar looked down:

 "Patchkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Patchpaw. Your mentor will be Milkfur. I hope she will pass down all she knows to you."

Darkstar only paused for a moment to have a breath.

"Milkfur, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Stripedtail, and you have shown yourself to be understanding and fierce. You will be the mentor of Patchpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him."

Darkstar stopped talking and Patchpaw stepped forward to touch noses with Milkfur. 

Then Darkstar continued the ceremony, with Petalpaw getting Flowershine as mentor and Larchpaw - not surprisingly - got Hawkfeather.

"Patchpaw, Petalpaw, Larchpaw!" The Clan chanted. Mapleshade, purring, trotted over to the three newly-made apprentices, licking them each on the head. Petalpaw jumped back. "Mother! We aren't kits any more!" But her pride overcame the anger in her voice. 

Soon they all left for training. Petalpaw and Patchpaw went down to the river, and Larchpaw disappeared into the medicine den. Mapleshade sighed. They grew up so fast! She shook her head and turned around, looking for Appledusk, who she had seen congratulating the apprentices. That's when she saw something that made the fur along her spine prick. A russet tail had just disappeared from the entrance to camp.

sHoRt ChApTeR

heh-