devil town, devil boy

M/n had settled for two birthdays, two houses, two families and everything else in his life being separated. But he was tired of his body being separated from his mind. 

Everything was set up perfectly, his father being a doctor and all. He was able to get his surgery booked, pre-op, post-op, and more. The whole thing was going according to plan. 

Until a certain brunet showed up, teary eyed and wailing about his loneliness. Iwaizumi had left to see his relatives for the weekend and he wanted some company.

He was quickly escorted out.

That, of course, couldn't stop the great Oikawa Toru from sneaking in. It wasn't exactly dark, nor bright outside, yet his outline was still clearly visible to the naked eye.

"Oikawa!" The brunet heard a faint shout of his name from across the room. Fumes radiated from his tightly bound hospital gown.

"M/n-"

"Don't even start!" M/n whispered once again, a little more agitation laced with this one. His surgery was in an hour, and here was the infamous Aoba Johsai setter, climbing through a window he shouldn't even be able to fit through.

"I needed to see you before—" He stopped himself. What exactly was he there for in the first place? "Um... Before you, uh..." 

M/n sighed, not only his frustration reaching its peak, but also his anxiety. He threw himself off the bed and (lightly) stomped over to his friend. "Remember that talk we had the other day?" 

There were many talks. Oikawa had no idea which one he was referring to in this instance. 

"About boundaries?" 

"I may vaguely remember you kicking me out after telling me not to poke at your secrets." Oikawa's body deflated like a bouncy castle at a child's birthday party. "But just let me take you out for a bit!" 

Another hefty sigh escaped the younger male's lips. His father was probably around the corner waiting to dope him up with an anesthetic for the surgery.  Bearing the thought of his embarrassing family coming into the room, he grabbed Oikawa's collar and began shoving him back out the window in which he came through. 

Just in time, however, to be greeted by his one and only brother and father duo. He was expecting one of them, not both

"H-Hey Dad..." 

A slightly wrinkled and gruff man stepped through the frame of the hospital room doors, an intimidating aura accompanying him. His steps echoed as the room came to a stand-still. 

Oikawa was swiftly kicked in the ass and right out the window. He would've been left to deal with himself if it wasn't for m/n's younger brother. The young teen, barely over 5 feet tall, looked over the edge and dropped a bottle of water onto the setter. 

Unfortunatly for him, it landed directly atop his head, but he was thankful that at least one person from that family cared for him. 

"Everything's ready." His father's hard exterior evaporated as he re-adjusted his son's blankets. "Are you, y'know, okay?" It wasn't very professional "doctor" talk but what m/n needed right now wasn't a doctor. It was his family. 

"I'm ready. Try not to kill me, Dad." 

"I'll try my best." 

~~~ 

Despite the hospital staff's best efforts, Oikawa Toru made his way back into the hospital. He wanted to thank the young boy for his small gift, even if it was received by his head. (haha, get it. received. it's a volleyball joke smh) 

"What's he in for?" The brunet awkwardly strung up a conversation with the much younger boy. 

"HOLY SHIT?! WHAT THE FUCK MAN YOU SCARED THE LIVING HELL OUT OF ME!" The boy, whose name he still hadn't asked for, replied. The question took a moment to settle before there was an answer. "Just some, uh..."

Oikawa very quickly got the sense that this was another one of those "boundaries" he wasn't supposed to cross. So he left that conversation in the past and started another.

"What's your name?" He finally asked. He didn't know why, but the boy was surprised by the question. Almost as if he hadn't been asked it in a long time. 

"Oliver." 

"Can I call you Ollie—" 

"No."

That hit a nerve... Oikawa thought to himself. "How long until your brother gets to play sports again?" 

Oliver took a moment before responding. He didn't really know, he had convinced himself that he didn't care. But was that true?

"A month or two." Another short response. He didn't want to elaborate. It wasn't worth his effort. Yet here he was, still waiting outside the operating room to make sure nothing went wrong. 

"Are you into any sports? I heard basketball is a popular one—" Oikawa's attempts at a conversation were futile, and all of them were shut down. 

"Why do you keep talking to me?" 

Like before, Oikawa took a moment to reply. He wanted to think about it, but he really didn't have to. 

"Why wouldn't I talk to you?" 

Oliver's eyes widened. He didn't want to react, or to give this stranger any satisfaction from pushing his buttons. "You... You and my brother probably get along great." 

"Why the hell would you take a shot like that?!" Oliver's eyes darted all over the court. From his mother's inspirational words to his brother's tired body. It was a stupid shot, and it could've cost them the game. But, maybe luck was on their side today. 

M/n stood tall on the court, his teammates chanting his deadname. He should've been happy, but this wasn't the world he was meant for. Nevertheless, he replied with something Oliver would never forget. "Why wouldn't I make the shot?" 

The cocky smirk never wiped off his face, even as his mother berated him for almost giving her a heart attack. Perks of having your mum as a coach right? 

"I guess we do." Oikawa sighed sheepishly, drawing his body closer to the semi-warm seat. Though the hospital wasn't the most comfortable place in the world, he wanted to be the first face m/n saw when he woke up. 

If  he woke up.