33

By the time Touya had finished talking, he was surprised that the girl in the cell next to him hadn't managed to claw her way through the thick wall separating them. She had managed to turn it a bright shade of red, though. Likely to give him a visual of the anger she was directing toward him.

"Alright," Aya seethed. "So, not only did you lie to her and put her life at risk by making her stick around after her friend's death, but you also allowed your dirty villain friends to lock her up after she found out?"

"It was the only way, at the time," Touya reiterated. She'd asked this same question twice now and he wasn't fond of repeating himself. "I get why you're pissed off here, but I think we should focus on the more important thing that I told you."

"I'm still coming to terms with that part," she said. "Because how is it even possible for the weapon to be inside someone? And how would she not have figured it out?"

He'd been asking himself that same question since he'd first seen the corpse of the commissioner lying at your feet. It hadn't made any sense. How could such a powerful ability have gone undetected for so long? But once Doctor Reiki had provided him with the results of your x-ray, Touya had begun to mold the story into place.

"The fact that Izanagi ties itself to one person isn't that hard to believe. It's similar to the quirks that nearly everyone in the world possesses. Only this one can be passed down, possibly through genetics or a transfer between two people." He stretched his fingers, relieved to have most of the feeling returned to his body. "My current theory is that someone knew early on about the power she possessed and had the blocker placed as a precaution. Whoever it was, likely knew of the weapon and knew the risks that she would face if people were to find out."

Aya was silent for a moment. "Ok, I guess I can kind of understand that. And I know how you managed to figure it out, but how did the commission learn about it? You didn't tell Hawks, right?"

"Of course I didn't," he scoffed. "I didn't tell him anything. There should be no way for him to have known." Unless the League had told him about it, but Touya doubted that was the case. They hadn't told him anything in regards to Touya's assignment with you. "But at this point, it doesn't matter how they know. What matters is what they plan to do."

The images that flooded his mind caused Touya to clench his fists. The commissioners were vile, ruthless people who were willing to do anything to maintain their perfect hero society. If they wanted to use your power, take it from you somehow or force you to use it as they directed, there would be no limit to how far they'd go to make you cooperate.

Your friend moved around her cell a bit, and he could tell the movements were anxious. "We need to get her out of there."

Right, like that wasn't the only thought on his mind. "I'm working on it, but getting out of these cells without being able to use my quirk is gonna be hard."

There was a long stretch of silence before Aya said softly, "My cell isn't built with the same substance as yours. My quirk is still fully functional."

Touya almost laughed. "Probably because they knew that changing the color of the walls wouldn't do much to help you escape." He could appreciate her desire to help you, but unfortunately, there wasn't much that your friend could do in this scenario. It's why you'd asked him to help her. Not the other way around. This was all up to him.

-------------

Y/N's POV:

After being shoved into an elevator and taken down, you were led through a series of hallways. They'd been intricately designed, clearly to disorient anyone who tried to keep a mental map of where they were taken. Like you, for example. After taking yet another series of turns you'd begun to feel dizzy.