Chapter 4: The Full Moon

A/N: do you like swimming?

The reef was beautiful. The bright colors of different species of coral, fish, plants, and all various types of wildlife felt like home. An ecosystem filled with life; all living as one.

The water feels amazing on my skin. I've always favored being underwater than on land. Gravity isn't as harsh as it is on land. I can explore any and every crevice of the ocean. You can't do that on land. On land, everything costs something—usually money.

I've been swimming for a couple of hours now. Take time to appreciate the beauty of the ocean. After eight treacherous hours of school and fraternizing with the masses I am thoroughly exhausted. My social battery died well after the incident in biology.

I swim back towards the surface keeping an eye out for any wanderers on the beach. I hid my clothes near some rocks that are far from the main part of the beach. Land people usually stay away from these rocks. I don't blame them. One strong current to the knees and they're rocked out of their world. Pun intended.

Once the coast was clear, I swam towards the rocks keeping an eye out for any wandering eyes, and swam up on the rock manipulating the sea to guide my body on the rock. I did that multiple times until I was on flat even sand.

My mom hates when I use this technique to get out of the water. Saying "the water doesn't move like that close to land. You'll get yourself caught." I always answer with "Mom, I'm too careful to get caught."

Besides, dragging myself out of the water is the hardest thing I've ever done. Your body is used to the low gravity of the water only to experience that gravity enhanced tenfold.

I flipped myself over on my back putting all my weight on my elbow while I use my right hand to dry my tail using my powers.

It only takes about thirty seconds to dry my body completely. Fifteen if I'm rushing but that always leaves me with an itchy dry patch later which I despise.

I get up surveying the beach for wandering eyes and change back into the outfit I wore for school today. I did not have time to go all the way home and find something more comfortable than skinny jeans.

Now fully clothed, I make the short walk home.

****

"Where have you been?" Mom greets me while I close the door.

"I went for a swim after school," I replied walking towards the kitchen. Something was off about her today.

"We need to hurry up and get ready for the full moon today."

I replied with an 'okay' before gulping down a cup of water. I felt her presence for a while before she went upstairs to I'm assuming change.

After drinking two more cups of water I went upstairs to go change into something comfortable for the ceremony tonight.

I opted for a zip-up hoodie and sweats to match. Not bothering to wear anything under since I won't be wearing them for long. I walk back downstairs greeting my mother once again.

"Ready?" She asked looking up from her purse. She wore a long navy dress that accentuates her model-like figure.

I nodded and we went on our way.

The beach was even more beautiful at night. The stars and moon aging bright on the waves. The wonderful smell of saltwater permeates the air as the sounds of waves crashing against the rocks bringing everything full circle.

Walking on the beach before a swim is so exciting. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Or a wife running to her army husband. The ocean is my love.

The uneven surface of the sand. The way every step feels different than the rest. It's so weird yet wonderful at the same time.

Reaching a big rock to hide our clothes under we undress and dive into the water.

The transformation is quick. One moment you're kicking your legs and the next you're legs are fused growing longer and thicker into a massive tail. Gills form on the side of your neck taking in the salty water that keeps us alive.

We swim away from the shore. Torpedoing through the waters like a bullet through the wind.

Usually, mom would be in the front since she's faster (and knows where to go) but tonight's not the case.

Every time I look back at her asking if we're there yet she shakes her head no and proceeds to look into the distance. Weird.

We do that a couple of times. I asked if we were there yet, her saying no then going back to whatever she was thinking about and we keep on swimming.

It was only after the fourth time I asked that she nodded and we swam up towards the surface.

Everything is perfect tonight. The moon is the beautiful goddess and gracing us with her presence. The small waves rocked against us trying to push our bodies away while we keep ourselves afloat with a flick of our tails.

"Isn't the moon beautiful tonight?" I ask facing my mother.

"It is." She replied. But it wasn't the response that I wanted. It was a response with no substance. Like when somebody asks you if you're okay. No matter whether you're okay or not your answer will always be 'yea' or 'I am.

Her eyes weren't on me or the moon. She was looking into the distance. Looking at everything and nothing simultaneously.

We float in silence for a while. Mom is in her world while I stare at the moon.

"Alright, let's begin."

######
Why is Arions mom acting weird? Any ideas?
What did you think of this chapter?
Thank you for reading!

Like, comment, and share!