"This isn't over yet, Bradley"

Skye's POV:

Two years ago

Bradley has just shot down a bogie so I have to ask, "When'd you get so good at flying, Rooster?"

His voice takes a few moments to come back through the comm. It's like static and I almost don't catch what he says, "When you were off with that douche, that's when."

There's an underlying emotion that I can't exactly detect while not being face to face with him. Jealousy? Nah, can't be.

"Douche? You talkin' about Lucas?"

Lucas is my ex-boyfriend. We only dated for about five months, but I really thought I loved him. Even if during those months he put a wedge in my friendship with Rooster, sometimes you just have to sacrifice things for those you care about. I had to sacrifice Rooster for a little happiness.

"Yeah, him."

There was never a time Rooster and Lucas got along. I tried for a while, but it just got tiring.

Our conversation is interrupted by loud thundering. A storm. We stay flying for a minute before we're told to fly back to base and land.

"This isn't over yet, Bradley."

The landing is smooth for me and I hop out of my jet pretty quickly after. I stand there under the dark sky waiting for Rooster to land. As soon as he does I'm quick to jog to him.

His face holds anger in it, I don't understand what's wrong. I don't have the chance to speak because he does, "Why were you with him for so long, Angel?"

I can't help but feel confusion. I knew he didn't like the guy, but since when did he care so much? "I had feelings for him. How was I supposed to just let him go? I had no reason to."

"You actually had one pretty big reason," he's yelling now. Yelling in front of me so loud that it drowns out all the thunder and the pitter patter of the rain that began to hit everything around us, "Me. I was your reason."

I don't say anything. I can't think of anything in this moment.

The rain is sloshing all over the ground by now, coming down so heavy that our clothes are soaked through and I would need a hot shower to warm my body up.

"You always do this. You always forget about me. Why can't you just see?" He's getting frustrated. His hands run through his wet hair. I can't see his eyes under his aviators, but I know they're at least a few shades darker than normal.

Rooster's frustration rubs off on me, I'm starting to feel the same way. I throw my hands in the air, "See what? What am I supposed to see, Rooster?"

He stands still. He stares. No, glares at me. It's silent and the minutes feel long as he says nothing. Then he finally mutters, "You're gonna catch a cold. Let's go."

Even in the worst times, he's still worried about me. He still cares about me.

We walk to his room, "I'll give you something to wear. Sit anywhere."

I sit on a chair in the corner. I take notice of the messiness. Clothes scattered on his bed and table. Food sits on his windowsill. He was messy, in every way he was messy, but that was just fine.

"Here. This might be a little big but.." he drifts off as if I'm meant to know what he's going to say next.

He handed me grey sweatpants and an old Navy t-shirt he must have got just after joining, "Thanks. Can you uh- turn around?"

"Oh. Oh, yeah. Sorry" his body is turned away while I put the pants on but he turns before I'm done. He just looks at me. I do nothing to stop him and pull the shirt on, "My dad had one just like it. The shirt I mean."

"Good taste."

"He would have really liked who you've become, I think." I don't know what to make of his words, that was my dad's best friend.

"I'm sure we would have loved each other" is all I settled on saying. I can't help but look down at my feet at the mention of the late man. I don't really remember anything about him, I wish I did. In the midst of my thoughts I see another pair of feet in front of me. I look up and there's Rooster stood mere inches away, "Roost, what are you-"

He kisses me.

Our first kiss.

I ease up after realizing how rigid I must seem, I was just shocked. I reciprocate the kiss, moving my lips against his while moving my palm up to touch the light stubble on his cheeks.

We pull away after a few moments, breathless and staring at each other.

He goes back in and this time pushes me onto the bed, "I'll take care of you."

"You always do, Bradley."

Current time

I don't know how to respond to Bradley. I know how much this shirt meant to him, he only ever wanted to be like his dad.

Him bringing up that night brought back some old feelings for me. I hadn't thought about it in so long that I almost forgot it even happened. Sure, as kids we were so close that we "dated", but we were only like four.

I want to say that night was a mistake. I want to say I regret it, but I don't. Nothing could ever make me believe that was a mistake.

I don't realize I've just been staring off past him until he speaks, "Nothing left to say, baby?" His words taunt me. He wants me to break. He wants me to lash out at the use of the petname.

"Nothing at all Bradshaw" is all I say with a smile towards him. I move to Hangman letting him throw an arm around my shoulders.

If he wants to taunt me, then so be it. If he wants war, then he'll have it.

Game on Rooster.

Authors note

I kind of LOVE the flashback.

I cant wait for everything that's to come.

THANK YALL SO MUCH FOR THE READS