Phase 4: Finally Got an Interview (sucks)

Kayla's POV:

Time seems to slow down as I take in his form. That ruffled hair used to be black. Dark as the night sky. But right now. It's red. A vibrant shade of hell's darkness that's been manually raked over, tugged, ruffled and then left to star that way.

Me? I was the cause of my current predicament?

Delusional man.

What he said, what he was saying made absolutely no sense at all. I was just being jobless as anyone could possibly ever be and I somehow ended up giving somebody an opportunity to hold me captive?

Without even the slightest hesitation, I throw it back at him.

"Me? No, you lost me there," I pause before trying to find the right words to say. "Heck, I don't even know you!"

Right words?

Time seems to freeze but at the same time zap right before my very own eyes like lightning with the way he was looking at me. My mind was all mushed, numb and clearly up in the clouds to even process what he was saying anymore.

I could've sworn his eyes just dimmed darker than what was humanly possible. Danger's what was shooting out from his gaze, and the constriction of his jaw ignites something in me that I almost want to pee.

"So, you're Kayla, right? Let's go back to square one," he says ever so calmly as if nothing was out of place. "Hey there, Kayla. I'm Atlas. Atlas Cruz." His face was blank as ever.

What, was this some kind of interview?

"Cut the crap, what am I doing here? Just get to the point."

He huffs and sighs right before lifting himself off the chair.

"Look, just let me go! I don't even know you and I didn't do anything to you!"

I aggressively pull on the ropes holding my hands together, causing the chair to rock slightly.

"Shut up!"

"Look who's talking," I snicker back at him. I should've known it was a wrong move when he started staring daggers at me.

I really needed to pee.

Lucas POV:

She was gone. Vanished. Abracadabra and I find her room to be empty. She never paid heed to my words and insisted on getting a damn job!

It did not come as a big surprise that she probably left home early in the morning to continue preying on job openings. However, it wasn't like her to be super constructive with her time, to the point she wouldn't return home even when night had fallen!

No note on the fridge, no texts, no calls. Like she never existed.

It began to worry me, how she was still out there in the dark, even when she probably knew there wouldn't be anything at this hour!

A wave of anxiety washes over me as I contemplate whether going out for her would be a good idea, after multiple failed tries of contacting her.

Finally coming to a conclusion, I grab my jacket and keys before dashing out the door and heading downstairs.

I feel goosebumps lining my arm the moment I step out into the cold, undoubtedly making me more worried about Kayla.

A gush of chilly air passes me, as I rub my hands together in search of warmth.

The sky comes out to be a merciless black, hooded with mist and clouds, bringing about a certain gloominess. After concluding I wouldn't be able to go out anywhere during a time like this, I decided to head back up before it turned too cold.

As I trot up the stairs, I begin hearing muffled sounds coming from the far end of the corridor. The voices sounded too unfamiliar for them to come from neighbouring houses, thus bringing about a tinge of suspicion and curiosity within me.

A blinding beam of light flashed across my face from my back for a mere second before darkness engulfed me once again. I stood as still as a statue, anticipating the source of light to once again make its move.

I stealthily turned back and tip-toed back into the dark corner to a certain spot where I guessed the beam of light had come from. Right at that moment, I heard joyful laughter and the high-pitched voices of little children from a corner of the small room. I inched closer, curiosity getting the better of me.

I stretched my arm out toward the dark corner, the laughter getting louder every step I cautiously took forward. I was surprised to find myself so close to the wall that my face was merely inches away from it, but I still heard the laughter. The wall was plain and there wasn't anything odd about it at all. As I lifted my right leg off the ground, I moved it forward to kick the bottom of the wall. However, things didn't go as expected.

It went right through the wall.