Bitter Days

{7 march, 11:12 AM}

"Ada.....ada....ah..."
Those words kept coming out of his room. i could feel his shaky voice caressing my ears, filling my brain with pain, like a little bird who just wouldn't shut up.
"Dear Emil, what's the matter?"
as i entered the room i could see his poor little face, he looked like he was about to cry. he needed me, like a puppy who lost his home.
"Darling..it hurts.. what is happening?"
"Nothing is happening, you need some rest sweetheart, please try to sleep."
I couldn't just tell him the truth. How was i supposed to tell him that i had intensified the therapy today? he needed it. everyday he got worse and worse. at this point I'm not even sure what i can do to save him.

{3:00 PM}
my phone started buzzing.
"Hello?"
"Greetings. Is this Ada Mesmer?"
"Indeed."
"Great! I am Freddy Riley Harvard Law and I'm calling you because we need a new doctor in our asylum"
"Sorry, im not interested, I'll hang up."
"No wait! Let me finish. I know that your lacking on money, but if you join us you won't have that problem anymore. think about it."
I paused.
How did he know? and more importantly, why me?
"Fine. but on one condition, you must let me bring one of my patients.
"Of course, who is it if i may ask?"
"His name is Emil Mesmer"
"Mesmer? as in..your brother?"
"Husband."
"Husband?"
"You heard me."
"Uh.... alright. But you must be here by tomorrow."
and with that he hung up. i was very confused but in that moment i couldn't think too much about it. all i could do is think of how we'd leave.

{8:00 PM}
it was time to leave.
i gently opened the door of my husband, to find him curled up in his bed, shaking and a few groans coming out of his mouth.
"Sweetheart, we have to go, i already packed your bags."
"Huh..? Ada? .. where are we going?"
"We're going somewhere new Emil, a place where you can find yourself."
"Where are we going?"
When i was about to reply i heard one of the guards, so i hurried up, taking Emil by the hand and rushing him outside and then to my car.