003

Unfamiliar sounds were the first thing 002 heard when she awoke from her sleep. Her eyes opened slowly, her vision shifting to the blurry figure who was sat next to the bed where she laid. The girl's muscles felt weak and worn, her skin pale and cold. The last thing she remembered was the caretakers rushing to her brother's side after she hurt him. She hurt him. Recalling what she had done, her eyes fog with warm tears. Her sniffles are what draw the figure's attention—the figure, now she realized, was Peter. As she further became aware of her surroundings, she became aware of Peter's hand holding onto hers in a tight grip. 

"Hey sleepy head, welcome back." He says softly, stroking her hand with his thumb. 

Two licks her dry lips, muttering a quick hello to the boy. She shifts her gaze to the end of the bed, tears streaming down her face as she remembers what she did. As if her siblings didn't already hate her, they were going to be even more furious with the girl, which she found terrifying. "Do not cry, Two." Peter demands, "You've done nothing wrong. You did exactly what Papa instructed." 

Even Peter's reassurance didn't help what the girl was thinking. "Was he mad, Papa?" She asks, her gaze returning to the kind boy. Peter uses his other hand to cup hers, his two hands now surrounding hers. "I wouldn't say mad. He just seems a little surprised with you, Two." 

Her heart slows a bit, "Is 004 okay? I didn't hurt him?" 

"He's going to be okay, just a concussion," he answers. 

002 furrows her eyebrows, "How are you here right now? I thought Papa did not like us to see each other." 

Peter chuckles, "Oh, he doesn't—but, I snuck in once he left." 

The girl sits up from her position, now level with Peter. "But he is going to hurt you again," she rambles. He lifts one hand from hers, raising it to her making her silent. "Don't worry about that, I told you it's worth it." Peter places his raised hand on her cheek, swiping away the tears that were once clouding her hazel eyes. She nods, giving in to his words. Two relaxes under his touch, his warm hands causing a weird feeling within the girl. She gulps, confused. Peter's head tilts as he reads her expression, "Is there something upsetting you, Two?" 

Two shakes her head, no. "You just make me feel different." 

He raises an eyebrow, "Different?" 

"Yes." 

"How so?" He asks, rubbing her face with his thumb. 

She sighs, "It just feels different; it's like I forget how to talk." 

Peter grins, "We're more alike than you think, Two." 

The girl smiles, crookedly. His hand remains against her face, "You know, you are very lovely, Two." 

The girl scrunches her face, confused. "Lovely? What is lovely?" 

"It means I wouldn't get bored with looking at you. You're exquisitely beautiful," he smiles sweetly. 

Two smiles wide, "Then, you are lovely too." 

Peter lets out a loud chuckle, the girl soon joining him. The kind boy sighs, "Well, your Papa will be here soon, I should go before I get into trouble." 

Two nods, understanding. 

Once Peter leaves, the girl returns back to her sleeping position. She feels comforted with her and Peter's talk, it made her feel less like a monster. Two fell victim to the silence in the room, she didn't like it. She missed lovely Peter's voice. He was so kind to her, and she was more than happy to finally have someone who believed in her. Two placed her hand on her face where Peter's once was, recalling his sweet disposition and his lovely eyes. 

Peter knew the girl was different than the others. He wanted to know more about her and the only way of doing that wasn't by asking her—but by finding her file in Dr. Brenner's office. He knew that sneaking into his office was wrong, and he would get caught either way, but he just needed to know. It was like the need for air, it was something that was essential for him to live. So, Peter did it. He went into Brenner's office and searched for the girl's file. Earlier, he heard two other caretakers conversing about their assigned child's file, and where it happened to be located. It was found in the filing cabinet, which needed a key to be opened. The key was hidden in the grandfather clock in Brenner's office, slowly ticking like a time bomb. 

Peter quickly fiddles with the key in his hand, his hands shaking from the anxiousness he felt—believing someone would walk in any second. Once the filing cabinet was unlocked, he fiddles with the files, at least more than 20 of them being packed into the drawer. He goes through the numbers, each one representing a child that is confined in the lab. However, the number Two was missing, it was no where in the cabinet. Peter clenches his jaw, feeling defeated. His frantic breathing slows as he looks around the dim room, something catching his piercing, blue eyes.

A hinge.

It was at the bottom of the grandfather clock which was sat in Brenner's office. It was small, but definitely there. Peter quietly walks towards the clock, the ticking almost seeming to mock him in a way. He kneels down, his fingers grazing the clock, looking for a possible entrance to the small door. Reaching for the hidden handle, Peter opens the small door, a file laid there. He smirks in victory, quietly grabbing the folder and shuffling through its contents. He stops, finding a birth certificate, her birth certificate. It read: 

Faith Bloom Hill

Born March 22, 1965 

That's all the certificate said. The names of her parents were marked out greatly, completely hidden as if it was a huge secret. Peter sighed in defeat. He wanted to tell Two—Faith—what he had found, but none of it was good news. Would she even want to hear it? She believes that Brenner is a good man, and that he only wants to protect his children. But Peter knows the truth, and he feels if Faith were to know too, they could leave—together.

Peter contemplates his thoughts and decisions. His thinking, unfortunately, interrupted by the voices heard outside of the office. He gulped, quickly tossing the file back where he found it and placing the key in the grandfather clock. Peter runs to the other side of the room, hiding underneath Brenner's desk. 

"She has great power, I know that now," Dr. Brenner discusses, entering the room. "I know, but is she ready for it?" An unfamiliar voice replies.

Brenner huffs, "Of course she is."

"How do you know?"

"I don't. But that doesn't matter. She will train as much as we instruct, she has no choice." Brenner summarizes. 

"She's only a child-"

"It doesn't matter," Brenner snaps, his footsteps telling Peter he exited the room, the unknown person doing the same. Peter sighs angrily. He was not going to let anything happen to Faith, even if it's the last thing he does. 

she speaks!!!

first of all I would like to sincerely apologize for not updating, as I have been on vacation for over a week and didn't have access to the story. BUT I'm here with a chapter heh, tysm for all the love <3 will be updating more frequently.