.one.

tw: drug mention/usage

the loud beeping of my alarm startled me awake from my deep sleep. i rubbed my eyes, bursts of color wafting behind my eyelids and my mascara coming off from last night. my mini-alarm clock read monday, 8:35.

a sense of dread washed over me. I had been at school for two whole months and somehow I managed to wake up late anyway. my class starts in twenty-five minutes on the opposite side of the campus. i was fucked.

i opened my bin of packed clothes and threw together an outfit. my breath smells like gin, i thought to myself. shrugging, I popped two pills out of a random bottle I found on my desk and hid it. safety wasn't really a priority right now.

after i put on new clothing, not bothering to question the skimpy outfit i was wearing last night, i looked for my toothbrush, and checked the time. my clock read 8:50. i paused for a moment, noticing a note underneath my clock. i snatched the note and opened it, attempting to make out words from the scribbled.

thanks for coming to the party last night, and for all the fun we had. 289-314-8293 love, jj.

a short sigh left my mouth. i must have been completely drunk because i don't even remember going out last night. at this point I don't remember anything. i tucked the note in my bra, grabbed my keys and my bag and left for class.

walking was the easy part. my dorm was situated in-between the main hall and the other buildings, so it was a ten minute walk, maximum. the hardest part was interrupting lecture.

my lungs burned from the lack of oxygen as I approached the door. maybe i should take a break from inhaling stuff that isn't pure air. i stopped outside, wiped my eyes free of last nights mascara, and checked my phone for the time. 9:06. shit.

the door creaked open, announcing my entrance, and I immediately scanned for open seats, meeting some students' eyes. this was Psychology III, but i didn't think it would be so packed. the room was filled with heads all tuned into the professors lecture on freud. I peered for an empty space in the back, but the only available seat was in the front row.

quickly, I walked to the seat, giving a slight nod to the professor, who acknowledged me with a small smile. it was luckily at the end of the row. a girl was sitting next to it, her brown hair cascading down her shoulders in layers, pale blue eyes focused on the professor.

thank god its not a jock, or frat kid.

i sat down and pulled my notebook out, preparing to take notes.

tap tap tap.

i looked over at the brunette, chewing on the back end of the pen she tapped me with, and she returned my gaze and gave a small wave. she was conventionally attractive, with small freckles that littered her porcelain skin.

"hey," i whispered, trying to break the silence.

"hi," she whispered back. i refocused on my notes and smiled, shaking my head.

by the time the lecture was over, i had two pages of notes done, the most I'd ever taken since freshman year. I beamed at my work before tucking it safely away in my bag. the professor gave us a term paper in advance that was due at the end of the semester, so i decided to go to the library to study and prepare.