Chapter 5: Companion

The Boss had gotten tired of the party. She had already drank two whole bottles of vodka worth of cocktails, but the fact that she was nowhere near wasted was the most frustrating feeling she had experienced in her life.

Awful.

Behind the bartender's back, she took a bottle of champagne and marched to the gardens to clear her mind (Which was a mediocre thing to say, considering that she was thinking straighter than she was).

The moon glowed bright and Boss let herself plop down on the floor and lie on her belly to drink champagne straight out of the bottle. She popped the cork and watched it fly free into the night sky.

-"Pick that up," she heard a voice behind her say.

-"You sure you don't want to pursue a job in acting, girl? It suits you well," The Boss sniffed the drink and shoved the foam she caught with magic into her mouth.

The Boss turned to see Luna shift into a familiar face Boss had grown up with. Luna's horn twisted and crooked and her wings changed to insect-like ripped wings. Her coat and hooves turned to a darker coat and her mane and tail turned turquoise.

-"Okay, you caught me," Queen Chrysalis snorted, "Nosey filly,"

The Boss gently slapped her wing against the platform she lay on, "Sit,"

Chrysalis sat next to the Boss with her slender body close to The Boss's own. Chrysalis will not say that she was enjoying their close contact, but she did.

-"How's life?" The Boss asked and took another swig of her drink.

-"As Luna or me?"

-"As you, why I know how Luna is doing," The Boss coldly replied.

Chrysalis hesitated, "Well, I'm fine I suppose? Not dead, not quite alive. These fools adore Luna, I don't know what's so special about her. She still decided that screw Celestia was sh*t because she was the 'beloved one' and crap..."

-"How you likin' pony life?"

-"Glad you grew up with us instead," Chrysalis took the bottle herself, "So many unspoken rules and snobby ponies. Ugh, not even I'm like that and I'm pretty awful,"

-"We both suck in our own ways,"

-"Least we admit it, nice outfit earlier by the way. Leather is nice,"

-"Thanks,"

Both lay in silence for a while, still sharing the bottle of Champagne among both of them. The Boss stared out the distance while recalling her childhood with Chrysalis as her companion for all those years until she came to study at Canterlot.

Chrysalis always made fun of how in the Hive The Boss was the only one with a light coat and mane. The Boss had also been quite the star when she got her Cutie Mark. The green patch on her flank was finally decorated with delicate yellow flowers. She was always the odd one out, but she turned out fine.

-"Remember when you were teaching me to shift?" The Boss smiled.

Chrysalis laughed, "I was impressed that you with your tiny Changeling blood could get anything done. Pity you can't do much,"

-"Call it magic, but it gets me places," the Boss took a long swig, "Still surprised you could tell I was one o' ya,"

-"Hard to miss," Chrysalis rolled her eyes, "Too slender for a pony, miserably tiny fangs, alicorn? Your eyes give you away too,"

-"Not so,"

-"Yes so! Your resting face is too serious and your eyes have a funny green to them. What still gets me is how you still are like one of them. You're more peaceful than you think,"

-"And you're nicer than you look," The Boss nuzzled her, Chrysalis laughed.

They laughed together. The Boss always skipped the childhood talk, there wasn't much of her to say that didn't make her look worse. She was raised by Changelings after she somehow ran into them when she was a foal.

She had always assumed her parents had just abandoned her after... some tight circumstances. Up to this day, she didn't know what really happened to them, but it was too late to look for them. If they weren't dead after several hundreds of years, then they were close to it.

Chrysalis had always been like The Boss's harsh, but caring friend. Most of the things she knew came from Chrysalis's infodumps during meals or when they were pretending to take over Equestria. The Boss had no intention to take over the continent but the game had always amused her in her earlier years.

Her teen years with Chrysalis had been mostly them going in separate ways because The Boss had gone off to study at Canterlot. Chrysalis said nothing, but she could tell Chrysalis would have rathered to come with her instead of The Boss by herself. During her stay, she realized how much she actually hated Celestia.

-"I can kind of see why you hate Celestia," Chrysalis suddenly yawned, "She's the Princess and whatever but she's a new kind of mind-my-own-business with a sugar addiction,"

-"No shining spears," The Boss replied, "She's always rubbing in my face that I graduated without the more modern magic. She thinks I'm old-fashioned,"

-"She also thinks I'm rising the moon, I just found a spell in Luna's cabinet,"

A thought clicked in Boss's mind, "Why are you playing Luna?"

Chrysalis smirked, "I'll tell you because I know you won't tell anyone, I'm trying to get the layout of this place so when I take over I know where the weak points are,"

-"Smart," The Boss nodded.

-"Question is when," Chrysalis finished.

The Boss took the final sip of the bottle and pouted, "Are you in a rush right now?"

Chrysalis snorted, "Nah,"

-"Celestia likes to send me invitations for things, I'll keep you posted on good chances to try,"

-"Why does Celestia send you things?!" Chrysalis disgustedly wondered.

-"Dunno, she's weird,"

-"Tell me about it," Chrysalis crossly said and then tenderly turned to the Boss, "Thanks,"

-"Yeah," she placed her wing over Chrysalis's back, "You got it,"