10.We are family

"My mother can be a bit overwhelming", Shaurya tried to give Mehek a real picture, "especially now since her celebrity daughter-in-law is coming home". Apart from a curt nod of acknowledgement, she didn't respond.

Shaurya noticed that Mehek had been exceptionally quiet since the start of their journey. He realised that after signing of their contract, she has drawn into a shell. They will be in trouble if she behaves the same when they reach his home. His mother and relatives will call out their act in no time. Vivaan had already given him an earful on his unfair attitude towards Mehek. His friend had asked him to look beyond prejudice because she is not an opponent. They both need one another so she is his partners. His friend had managed to put some sense into Shaurya so he started their trip with an open mind. However his so called fake-wife slash partner has been giving him cold shoulder for long.

"What is the problem, Mehek?", Shaurya asked her firmly, trying hard control his irritation. She took a deep breath to reply calmly, "Nothing. I am listening". He shook his head in dismay. If a fake marriage gave him so much trouble then he didn't even wanted to imagine how it will be in a real marriage. "I know you are upset due to my previous behaviour", he explained, "but it was need of the hour. We argued, perhaps fought but eventually reached an agreement at the end. Now you will oblige, won't you?". "I am", she replied proudly, "just tell me clearly how you expect me to behave before your mother". "Like normal", he huffed. "Please explain normalcy", she asked sarcastically, "I am sure your definition of being normal is not same as mine". He was taken aback , at the same time felt like laughing at her words. Mehek was indeed a good match for him. Recalling Vivaan's golden words of advice, he decided to have a clean slate.

"I apologise for everything", Shauyra told earnestly, "can we be friends?", he extended his hands to Mehek. He was aghast when she started to sob. He half expected her to chid the olive branch he extended but never thought she will break down into tears. "You have been giving me attitude from the beginning. Don't you have a heart? Is this the way you behave to a Lady?", she asked tearfully. He was baffled by her sudden outburst. He looked around to ensure that fellow passengers have not noticed them. He moved closer to wipe her tears and gave her a glass of water, "Mehek, I am really sorry. I have been active like a d*ck". Despite tears, she smiled while sipping water.

 Gaining courage from Mehek's response, Shaurya tried to explain himself. "My whole life I have been bullied by likes of you. People who sideline others just because they are born rich", he shared his side. "And my whole life I have been looked down by your types", she quoted with her fingers, "the typical nerds who cannot give me a fair chance", she sighed, "Life was never easy for me either. We all have our shares of battles". Although he couldn't accept that she had to struggle in her life, he didn't argue. "My mistake. Perhaps you are different. I am sorry to have misjudged you based on my past", his prime aim was to pacify her, "I agree that we both have our share of bitter experiences. So let us overlook it and start afresh". She seem to agree but remained grumpy.

"Shall I get you something special? Will that make you feel better?", Shaurya tried his luck. "Ice-cream", Mehek demanded so he called the air hostess. "Which flavour?", he asked her. He awaited her to ask for low calorie, diet ice cream but she surprised him. "Choco-chip brownie. With lot of toppings", she replied him. "Won't it be too heavy?", his health conscious mind couldn't help but ask. "You want me to feel better, don't you?", she retorted. "Absolutely", he turned to the attendant to order the same. "Add more toppings. Don't mind calories. I need something strong to lift up my mood", she added, that made both Shauyra & attendant break into a pleasant smile.

"You want some?", Mehek offered Shauyra who was gawking her while she hogged on the ice cream. "No. I avoid sweets.", he replied confidently, "I work hard to maintain myself". She simply shrugged her shoulder, scoping sweets from the bowl. She amused him. "You will get along so well with my mother", he blurted out watching her. "Why?", she asked eagerly. He smiled, took a tissue to wipe remnants of ice cream from tip of her nose, "she is just like you. A child in a woman's body". "That's harsh", she complained so he quickly explained, himself, "She is extremely innocent and naive. First her parents then my Dad; they all pampered and spoiled her for good", he sighed thinking about his father, "I promised my Dad on his death bed to take good care of her. So later even I didn't let her know harsh realities of life. Despite being her son, I have pampered her as well". "That's so sweet", she appreciated, "I am sure she is special". 

Mehek felt happy that Shaurya started to open up to her. However she couldn't overlook that it was for his gain. She wanted to correct him that unlike his mother, she never got care and warmth of a family. Nevertheless, she remained quiet as she was not ready to divulge secrets of her personal life to him. In Shaurya's eyes, she is a princess of Maan family. She liked the sound of it evenwhen it is far from truth.

"Just be yourself when you meet her", Shaurya instructed her, "I mean the cheerful and friendly Mehek. The one portrayed in media. I promise, she will be besotted to you in hours". Mehek had no problem being friends with her fake Mother in law but she had her concerns. "Wont it be difficult on her when we break up? I mean if I stay distant, it will be easy for her to digest the truth". He disagreed, "In future, I will manage my mother. Probably I have to lie a lot but that's for later. But she won't be able to bear if her daughter-in-law remains aloof. She is too fragile to handle it". Mehek nodded as she understood he was getting nervous. While they both sat in silence, he swiftly grabbed her hand, "please help me to keep her happy. I promise I will make it up to you. I will do anything you want". Even though she had advantage over him, Mehek failed to exploit Shaurya. She was impressed by his love and concerned for his mother. So she readily agreed to play her part, "Don't worry. I will do my best".

After a long flight then later few hours by car, finally Mehek & Shaurya reached Ahlawat Bungalow. She had changed into a sari at the airport even though Shaurya asked to remain in her comfortable cloths. She recalled advices of her grandmother, trying to keep traditions intact as a dutiful daughter-in-law. 

Ahlawat Bungalow was old and elegant. The vintage building still holds onto the old charm, being evident that it was a gem in its own era. Mehek assumed that Shaurya may be spending most of his earnings to maintain the white elephant. Yet again she admired his hard work to bring prosperity to his ancestral home.

Resmi Ahlawat, accompanied by few elderly ladies were already waiting for the newly wedded couple. They did few rituals for newly weds and welcomed them into the house. Mehek was honoured as daughter-in-law of the house. She felt elated when everyone praised her beauty and blessed the couple. Resmi was anxious to keep her comfortable, "Just for some more time, Mehek. After this ceremony, you both can retire to your room". "I am fine to stay for couple of hours also. No need to hurry", Mehek expressed her willingness. 

Resmi was overwhelmed. She acted to take off bad eye from Mehek. "You are so lucky to have her, Shaurya", Resmi beamed at her son, "she is cultured and respectful". One of the ladies agreed to Resmi, "we all expected her to arrive in modern attire. But Resmi's daughter-in-law is so matured. She came clad in traditional wear and took part in all rituals with respect & patience". Shaurya remained quiet, adorning pokerface while Mehek smiled at them.

"Now this house is yours Mehek", Resmi told her affectionately. "Thanks for accepting me, Aunty", Mehek replied earnestly. "Don't call me Aunty", Resmi was aghast, "it makes me feel so old", she acted out, "We are going to be good friends. You can call me by my name". Mehek looked around timidly. She raised her eyebrows at Shaurya. When he discreetly shook his head, she understood. "Perhaps, I will address you as Ma. Just like Shaurya calls you", Mehek suggested. "Darling, I am already loving you more than him", Resmi hugged Mehek tightly. Shaurya rolled his eyes and exhaled to curb his wonder.  

Days passed. True to Shaurya's expectation, his mother dotted on Mehek. She was so happy that Mehek came into his life. She gave credit to his daughter-in-law to have saved Shaurya from heart break. Although not fully true, he realised that chaos in his life, made him sideline the heartburn that Pranati left in him. Perhaps Mehek was perfect distraction that he needed.

Shauyra was surprised with Mehek's behaviour. Day by day, she grew closer to his mother. At first he admired as her top class acting but as time went, he realised that Mehek genuinely cares about his mother. Little things she did for his mother was hard to be overlooked. He started to see Mehek in a different light. She wasn't a spoilt brat but a young woman who values family and relationships. Reasoning warned him not to be swayed but emotions asked him to give her a fair chance. Eventually, heart & brain made peace, finding a mid way. 

Shaurya realised that it was no use to worry about future while mourning his past. He wanted to enjoy his present. So he decided to remain happy with his family, of which Mehek was also now become a part. He stoped recalling his past. Whatever is store for him in future, shall come whenever but it will have to wait for now. He quit to worry but relish the moment he is has now.