24. Nobody is perfect

"When is her surgery?", Mehek was numb with shock as she gazed at the sleeping figure in the ICU. "In few days", Vivaan replied her. It took her few moments to recover and steady herself.

 When Resmi wheeled Mehek into cardiology wing, she had expected to find an aged relative or a friend of Ahlawat family. But never in her wild imagination, she expected her friend, Sonal. Tears streaked her cheeks while she asked nervously, "Is it risky?". Vivaan was unable answer in words so he just nodded. Resmi explained the criticality, "But it is inevitable". 

Resmi and Vivaan led Mehek to a corner where they could talk comfortably. "I cannot believe it", Mehek was still in shock, "She was the perfect person. Always took care of everything. An all rounder". Vivaan gave a dry chuckle, "but she always ignored her health. Hence all warning bells were ignored without giving another serious thought".

"When did it happen?", Mehek was still lost, "How come I never knew?". "Few days after you and Shaurya left", Vivaan spoke, "Sonal was working diligently to lift your venture to success. I pitched to help her as soon as knew about the situation. Then one day she had severe chest pain. She was trying to ignore it but I didn't listen and forced her to visit my doctor", he narrated with a sigh "from then on it was numerous visits to hospitals and cardiologists". 

"Why didn't you inform me?", Mehek sounded angry. "Sonal forbid me. She didn't want to disturb you. Besides, you know how proud she is. He hardly let me in. But I was persistent. Then she reached a point where she needed someone beside her. I was the only one she would let in", Vivaan's words brimmed with sadness. She moved her head in dismay, "I should have been with her. She is my best friend. Why didn't she tell me?". "You are very dear to her, Mehek. Sonal cares a lot about you. She didn't want you to worry and spoil the happiness you just discovered. Perhaps, she thought it was best to share the truth when you come back. But then...", he stopped midway.

Mehek recalled the fateful day, when she had misunderstood Sonal. She was hurt more by betrayal of her friend than Shaurya. But now she realised that in haste she added to her woes. "Whenever Sonal was discharged from hospital, she preferred her home even when I could take her to my mansion" Vivaan smiled recalling her stubbornness, "she was so adamant to leave hospital that I decided to stay with her. Not that I mind. It was fun. I feel different when I am with her", he smiled recalling their days but soon exhaled, "it was one of those days when you rushed into her home and ...". "And I assumed the worst", she spoke apologetically. 

"You were in a tight spot", Vivaan understood Mehek, "I don't blame you. Neither does Sonal. But atleast you should have given her a chance to explain". Guilt filled her conscience. "Sonal was shattered when you misunderstood her. Soon her health started to decline. Doctors asked us to hasten her surgery", he spoke sadly, "But she refused to go for surgery until she clears the truth to her". "Silly girl", Mehek rebuked her, "I am sillier than her. How could I misunderstand her?", she was fighting hard not to sob loudly. Vivaan side hugged her, "It's okay. Sonal needs your support, not your guilt". He gestured to the entry, "Shall we?". She took a deep breath before nodding to go ahead.

"Me...Meh...Mehek", Sonal tool her name weakly while breathing through the oxygen mask. It was evident that she was struggling to speak yet wanted to make Mehek understand her side. "Sshhh", Mehek shushed while holding her hand firmly. Sonal realised that her friend is already aware of the truth. She looked on to Vivaan who assured her the same. She felt as if a heavy load was lifted off her conscience.

"You have been a bad girl", Mehek scolded Sonal affectionately, "I am going to settle scores once you are hale & healthy". Sonal's eyes started to tear up, "wha...what..if...I don't...". Mehek didn't allow her to finish, "You have to. How can I function without you? You are my best friend and most trusted lieutenant". Both ladies tried to smile amidst tears. "You are a strong smart woman, Sonal. But I am not. I need you", she kissed her hand, "how will I survive without you?". She tried to give courage to Sonal.

"Mr...Ahlawat?", Sonal asked anxiously while taking his name and pointing her finger to Mehek. She wanted to know whether they have worked out their differences. "We sorted out our differences, Sonal", Mehek lied. She didn't want Sonal to worry for her , "Shaurya had to go to office since Vivaan is staying here. Else he would have been here with me". Sonal sighed but she looked happier.

When Sonal's eyes fell on Vivaan again,  Mehek tried to tease her, "You found a good man for yourself, Darling?". Her friend blushed and shook her head, "Ju...st.....fri..friends". "Oh! I believe you", Mehek acted out, "but I can already see the future. I see some hot romance between you ". Sonal smiled, being shy. Mehek was happy to have distracted her for few moments. They spend more time all the while Mehek trying to keep the mood lighter.

"Mehek, you need to leave", Vivaan came in after couple of hours, "you just got discharged so rest is a necessity". Sonal smiled although she was unhappy. "I will come tomorrow", Mehek promised her friend, "and everyday after", she got up to peck Sonal's forehead, "Take care". Vivaan brought Mehek out of the ICU where Resmi was waiting for her. She made Mehek sit on the wheel chair even when she insisted to be well enough to walk. 

While her mother-in-law wheeled her towards exit, Mehek spoke dubiously, "I am guilty to have doubted Sonal. How could I judge without giving her a chance to explain?". "It's okay, Mehek", Resmi patted her shoulder, "What matters is that you now know the truth and reconciled with Sonal". Mehek sniffed, "Her condition worsened due to my harsh behaviour. I will never be able to forgive myself if anything happens to her". "Think positively, Mehek", Resmi advised her, "your presence have raised her spirits. She will face the surgery in a better frame of mine", she sighed, "remaining is in God's hands. We can only pray for her".

Resmi took care to settle Mehek comfortably in her room. "I will be in the room beside. Call me if you need anything", Resmi told her. "Ma", she called out when Resmi was egressing, "When will Shaurya be back?". Resmi exhaled, "Don't worry about him, Mehek. He will not disturb you". Mehek asked timidly, "Won't you ask me to consider his side?". Resmi realised that Mehek was in turmoil after meeting Sonal. If it was not urgent, she would have given Mehek enough time to recuperate before meeting her friend. "I will never come between you. Because I am sure you both are mature enough to handle the situation", she held her hands, "Whatever you decide, I will still be your Ma". 

Mehek swiftly hugged Resmi. "I am so naïve to have quickly judged people without seeing their side. Have I made the same mistake with Shaurya?", she wept against Resmi, "I feel so stupid". "Mehek, you are an intelligent and sensitive person ", Resmi made look into her eyes, "But nobody is perfect. Neither you nor my son.We all are flawed. So Don't overthink. Take rest now".

Mehek was unable to sleep. The slender figure of Sonal, lying in hospital bed kept sleep away from her eyes. Ma was right. No one is perfect. But she couldn't shake away her guilt for jumping into conclusion. She could still find reasons to justify gap between Shaurya and her. They were too close in very less time. But Sonal was her friend for long. How could I misunderstand her without giving a chance to explain? Yet Sonal being owner of a big heart forgave her. She was glad that amends were made before it was too late.

Too late. Words reckoned in Mehek's mind. Was it too late for her her and Shaurya? Though he had explained his side many times, Mehek failed to believe him until now. Moreover, his egoistic attitude had repeatedly hurt her. However, she had to admit that slapping him public was nothing to boast about. She was impulsive while he became vindictive.

Today from Sonal & Vivaan, she was able to see another side of the truth. Nevertheless, question resonated in her mind. Is she meant to be with Shaurya? When she stubbornly refused to believe him, he chose to treat her brashly. When his ego got bruised, he decided to hurt her in all possible ways. She accepted her short coming while he was also equally flawed. Still do they deserve to be in a relationship?  Perhaps they just rushed to one another's arm to seek immediate comfort for a broken heart. 

Mehek sighed while tears adorned her pale cheeks. They both are equally guilty. Two imperfect humans. Are they meant of one another? Or is it better to part ways on a happy note?