Chapter - 4

[FRAY RESIDENCE]

[FRAY RESIDENCE]

"And then these creepy tentacles seemed to come out of the bodybuilder's face, and... and then the guy just... vaporized." Clary rants. "I mean, I was drugged, right?"

"What did the markings look like on the blonde boy you were talking about?" Jocelyn asks calmly.

"Why does she care about those markings?" Hermione asks.

"Who cares, Mom, okay?" Clary says throwing her hands in the air. "Are you even listening to me? I think I killed a guy."

"Clary, did they look like this?"

[Jocelyn takes her stele and a rune appears on her lower arm.]

"Did she just burn her arm?" Ron asks, mouth agape.

Ginny smiles sarcastically, "No, she cut her arm."

Clary's eyes widen and jaw drops, "Mom, what the..."

"Everything you saw tonight has a meaning and an explanation, and I've dreaded having this conversation with you since the day you were born."

"What is going on? Am I going insane?" Clary asks, eyes glazed with tears.

Lily sighs sadly, "Poor girl"

"No, you're not." Jocelyn denies shaking her head. "But the protections are wearing off. You're 18 now, and you need to know the truth."

"Protections? What does that even mean? Mom, you..." Clary trails off. "Mom, you're scaring the hell out of me."

"Your not the only one." Ron says, looking a bit scared.

Jocelyn sighs, "I know, and that's why I've put this off until the last possible minute."

Dot comes running into the room, "Jocelyn, look out the window. Magnus called to warn us. They found you." She pants out.

[Jocelyn looks out the window and sees the guys in suits step out of a car.]

"Dot, it's time." Jocelyn tells Dot and turns towards Clary. "Okay, listen to me. You cannot be near me."

"What's happening?" Clary asks, tears flowing from her eyes.

"I got a very powerful person angry."

"What did you do?"

"I hid something from him and his followers." Jocelyn answers vaguely.

"Does it pain her to say the names of the people?!" Kiara exclaims, as the others give her amused looks.

"Followers? Mom, why can't we just call the police?"

"The policeman you need to call is Luke. Keep this with you and think of me when you wear it."

Caroline grins, "She totally likes him."