Maverick

Wren woke up the next morning in the dorm house that the she would be sharing with Phoenix, Hangman, and Bob over the course of their training placement. The dorm houses all shared a common outdoor space so Wren wasn't surprised to see Fanboy and Payback already eating breakfast at the table outside. 

"Atlas, pull up a chair," Fanboy said indicating the seat next to him. As she settled in, Hangman approached running up from the beach, with Rooster and Phoenix not too far behind him. 

"Everyone get used to this, me leading the pack, and Rooster here struggling to keep up." 

"The only place you'll be leading anyone is an early grave," Rooster scoffed, clearly getting frustrated with Hangman's cocky attitude. 

"Too bad anyone who follows you will run out of gas. Waiting for the right moment that will never come..." he said trailing off. Phoenix reached her hand out to hold Rooster back when he stepped forward to get in Hangman's face. 

"Bagman, come on, drive with me to base," Wren said grabbing Hangman's arm and pulling him back towards the dorm house.

"We'll finish this at training today Hangman," Rooster called out.

"Can't wait to see the chicken fly." 

Wren smacked Hangman in the back of the head.

Wren walked into the training room to see two rows of desks facing a podium

Wren walked into the training room to see two rows of desks facing a podium. There was name tags resting on top of the desks pairing up a WSO with an Aviator per each desk. Scanning the row Wren saw her name, 'Atlas,' sitting on a desk in the second row next to a tag reading 'Hangman.' Just her luck that she would get partnered up with him again. She hated to admit it but they did make a good team, finishing first in their graduating class, but they had a messy history. 

After a few beers to celebrate a particularly good dogfight win in their first month, Atlas and Hangman ended up back in his room for the night celebrating in an entirely different way. That continued for the next two months until they graduated. The pair kept things strictly no strings attached and they still bickered their way through the days, but the two had formed an unlikely friendship. Still, Wren has been hoping she might be assigned to Rooster for the upcoming training. 

Then, as if she had conjured him with her thoughts, the brunette pilot slid into the seat next to her. Wren raised an eyebrow at him making a point to look from Hangman's name tag on the table then up to Rooster looking at her over his sunglasses.

"Assigned seats? What is this high school?" he said.

"From the bickering this morning you'd think so."

"Come on now, he had it coming." Wren simply rolled her eyes. "Besides some friendly competition isn't too bad."

"I guess you do need all the help you can get in your fight for second place." It was Rooster's turn to roll his eyes.

"How about a friendly wager? You and the Bagman versus me and Fritz" he said craning his neck to see the other name resting on the table next to his, "Training simulation today, loser covers the tab at the bar tonight."

"Oh you're on Rooster," Wren said reaching out her hand. Rooster clasped his hand in hers.

"May the best man win."

"Don't worry, she will." 

Their hands remained together for longer than was necessary, eyes locked on each other, until they were jolted back to reality by a loud voice.

"Hey fly boy you're in my seat," Hangman said suddenly standing over the pair, hands resting on the table.

"This really is like high school," Wren muttered under her breath. Rooster collected his things, patting Hangman on the shoulder on his way to his seat. Hangman jerked his shoulder out of the way and took his seat just as Cyclone took to the podium.

"Good morning, welcome to your training detachment. You were all top of your Top Gun class, the best of the best, but that was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth generation fighters has levelled the playing field." The silence in the room was thick as everyone processed what the admiral had just said. "Now that we don't have the technological advantage, success now more than ever will depend on the man, or woman, in the box."

Hangman stuck his toothpick in his mouth and turned to face Wren, winking at her with a smirk on his face. Somewhat childishly, Wren reached her hand across underneath the table and pinched him in the thigh, causing him to jump. Cyclone glared in their direction before continuing.

"Only half of you will make the cut, and only one of you will be the team leader. The other half will remain in reserve."

Everyone looked around the room appraising one another. Beside Wren, Hangman looked entirely too sure of himself, further back Bob face had lost all colour,  and up in front Rooster sat a little straighter in his seat.

"Your instructor for this mission is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in all aspects of the mission that you will be required to master. Pay attention, what he has to tell you may very well be the difference between life and death."

The heavy click of boots could be heard echoing through the room as everyone turned to see the older man from the bar the night before. Hangman and the others who had tossed him out of the door avoided making eye contact looking sheepish.

"I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign, Maverick."