Pillow Talk

When she got back to the dorm houses, Wren noticed that Rooster's jeep wasn't in the driveway, so she sat on the front porch hoping to catch him before he went to bed. She was worried about him after he stormed out earlier. The air had grown chilly, and the mosquitos had started to bite when the headlights of Rooster's jeep pulled up. He jumps out of his vehicle and slams his door storming towards his house. He stopped short noticing Wren perched on the front step.  

"Am I out past curfew?" Rooster asked. Wren could tell it was meant to be a joke but there was too much frustration in his voice for her to play along. 

"Phoenix and Bob are ok, they're likely going to be back in the air tomorrow already."

"I heard."

He pushed past Wren and into his house. He moved as if he was going to close the door behind him, but changed his mind halfway and tilted his head to invite Wren inside. She followed him as he climbed the stairs and entered his room. He stood at his dresser and started angrily unpacking his bag. Wren stayed silent and took a seat on the foot of his bed, waiting for him to be ready to talk. 

Without warning Rooster threw down his empty bag and crossed the room in two strides. He placed his hands on either side of Wren's face, leaning down and kissing her fiercely. Wren was completely taken by surprise and her mouth opened slightly in a gasp. Rooster wasted no time and his tongue pushed into her mouth, gently massaging her own. 

"Rooster, I'm not complaining but I'm a little worried you're just doing this because you're upset. Do you want to talk about anything?"

"I might be getting kicked out of the program after tonight so I'm not really in the mood to talk, but if you don't want to continue that's fine, we can call it a night." 

Wren was torn, she felt like she should push further and encourage him to open up, but on the other hand he was a grownup and he said he didn't want to talk about  it. The small patch of skin showing between the top of his pants and the bottom of his shirt, helped her to make a decision. She stood up, sliding her hands up under his shirt as she rose. When her hands reached  up and onto his shoulders, he helped her by grabbing the back of the neck of his shirt, lifting it up and chucking it in the corner. The room was dark except for the faint light coming in through the window but it was enough that Wren's breath still hitched in her throat as she took in the sight of his body. 

Wren was next, reaching down to the hem of her own shirt and pulling it up over her head. Rooster put his hands on her hips pushing lightly until she fell back on the bed. As he crawled up to meet her on the bed he took the time to place a trail of kisses up her stomach and neck before meeting her lips again.

"God Atlas, you're killing me," he said into her mouth.

"You keep saying that Rooster, and yet you continue to come back. I'm starting to think you have a death wish."

"I mean, look at you," he said pausing for a moment to sit up and drag his eyes up and down her body, "I'll keep showing up at your door as long as you'll let me."

"I technically showed up at your door," Wren said.

"Now is not the time to correct me darlin', I'm not exactly thinking straight." That shut Wren up quickly.

Later that night, Wren was laying in bed with Rooster, covering  herself only in his sheets

Later that night, Wren was laying in bed with Rooster, covering  herself only in his sheets. She reached down to search for her clothes in the dark.

"What are you doing?"

"I can't spend the night," she replied, "I have school tomorrow."

In the faint light of the moon Wren could see Rooster smiling.

"I do too, ya know." 

"I don't think it would be a good look for me to appear from your room tomorrow morning. Come to think of it. Why didn't we do this in my room? My house is basically empty since Phoenix and Bob stayed on base."

"Hmm would have been nice not having to keep quiet. We still have time to sneak over there," he said pulling Wren in for another kiss.

"Maybe next time hot shot," she said once again pulling away to search for her clothes. She rounded up her things getting up from the bed. Looking back she saw that Rooster was sitting up, leaning back against the headboard, lazily swaying his propped knee back and forth. Wren seriously debated getting back into the bed but kept her resolve and left the room instead. 

She walked as quietly as possible down the hall and down the stairs, holding the backdoor to prevent it from swinging shut and clanging behind her. She crossed the deck to her own house, silently opening the back door. She knew Hangman was a light sleeper, and she wasn't interested in explaining what she was doing sneaking into their house so late. 

Once she was safely back in her room without getting caught she let out a sigh of relief. Crawling into her own bed she tried to ignore the butterflies still in her stomach and go to sleep.