Chapter 3

Today was the day. It was Richy's funeral.

This whole thing gave me mixed feelings. I've always wanted to go to Duskwood, I am not gonna lie, but I just didn't expect it to happen because of some terrible incident. 

Richy was a good friend of mine, and now he had betrayed me, betrayed us all. I would have given him a second chance if I could, that's certain, although what he had done was unbelievable. It was too late now.

The man without a face had finally been found and Hannah was alive. Someone would say this is a happy end.. But it's not entirely. I guess I just wanted it to be different...

*new message from Jessy*

"Are you coming?"

"Yes. I'll be there in a few minutes."

Still no news from Jake.
Man, I'm gonna lose my mind...

The time did not seem to pass. It was like I was stuck in a loop. The same thing.. Over and over again.

I was exhausted. The trip lasted about 5 days. I had to take 2 different airplanes and a couple of trains. And Ι was already late. So much for the first good impression...

*new message from Cleo*

"Hey, the ceremony started. Are you close?"

Instead of replying to her message, I thought it would be great to do that in person.

~~~~~

And there they are. All of them. Jessy was hugging Cleo, Hannah was next to Thomas, both trying to hold their tears back, and Dan with Lilly were staring at Richy's coffin. 

Here I go. 

I did not say anything and just went to hug Jessy. She needed it the most after all.

"You're here..." she murmured

"I am." I replied with a smile on my face

"You thought I'd leave you alone on this?" I managed to say with a small laugh trying not to be heard

I nodded to Cleo and she left Jessy from her arms and gave her to me.

Jessy was sobbing on my shoulder and I was trying to stay strong for her. But at some point, I couldn't help but shed a few tears too. I wiped them off my face and gently patted her back to make her feel safe. 

"I'm sorry." she said as silently as she could

"Hey, don't be. It's alright. I am here. We all are." I replied hugging her tighter

We were all terrible. No one wanted to say anything except the priest. 

While I was holding Jessy, at some point Thomas decided to say a few words. He was the one that had cried the least.

I saw him step forward, now his eyes locked on the coffin.

He hadn't prepared a speech, as I could not see him holding a piece of paper in his hands. And he just went for it.

Taking a deep breath, he opened his mouth and started :

"Richy..." he said with a sigh

"Richy you were a great man, from what I had seen. From what we had all seen. You've done terrible sins that's true, but still.. There was a way to make this up. Taking your life was not one of them."

I could see how much Hannah was touched by his words. He was telling the truth and was expressing his feelings without being scared of what others would say.

"Everything you had done could be forgiven. Rest in peace Richy."

"Rest in peace Richy." everyone repeated after Thomas

As soon as Thomas came back after he finished his speech, I could see a black figure behind him. Not wearing appropriate clothing for such events. He was wearing jeans and a black hoodie. I quickly recognized who it was...

"Jake?"