Chapter 8

The following weekend, our group of six lined up in my yard as our parents all took so many pictures of us.

Because my parents did follow Tom, they did find out that he outed me. So naturally they were very pissed at him. They only let him come cause he was with Daisy.

Dianna asked Jordan to prom last minute, so they were also here. Jordan and Tom came wearing the exact same black suit. I decided on a navy suit because I'm nOt LiKe OtHeR gIrLs.

Jay really outdid himself this time. He deadass showed up to my house in a hot pink tux. And not to mention, he did the Eren Yaeger hair! I nearly died on the spot.

We had already been taking pictures for at least an half an hour when the parents finally decided to lecture us on being safe.

"Who's going to be the designated driver?" my mom asked. We all just kinda looked at each other.

"You all are going to an after party, aren't you?" she followed up. All of us started shaking our heads explaining that none of us ever drank. The parents saw through our excuses very quickly. The only person that was true for was Daisy.

"Guys," Jay's mom started. "We know how parties work. We weren't born yesterday."

Before anyone else could say anything, Tom stepped forward. "I'll be the designated driver."

Mine and Jay's parents glared at him. The four of them were still very unhappy with Tom. He was really just trying to get back in my parents' good graces. If I'm being honest, I don't think my parents will ever forgive him. Good for them.

"Alright, Tom," my dad sighed in resignation. "We're trusting you with everyone's life. Drive safe."

We all said bye to our parents and Tom snatched the keys from Jay. Daisy sat in the passenger seat, and the rest of us piled into the back.

The dance was actually really fun; it was more like a rave than a school dance. That's one of the nice things about private school, everything exceeds your expectations (especially after going through the Nebraska public school system).

Tom and I were the only ones who liked the mosh pit so I had to hang out with that bastard the majority of the time. Like the Easter party, I managed to drag Jay into the mosh pit with me a few times. Those were the best times. The best time was when Jay was with me for Starships.

There is something really unifying about everyone in a room screaming "higher than a motherfucker!"

Then the song changed. I was trying to place the familiar guitar when the DJ came on the loudspeaker.

"Old Sport, this one's for you." Twenty One Guns blasted from the speakers and everyone cheered at me. I laughed and looked at Jay. Jay took my hands and pulled me close. I smiled, putting my hands around his neck.

I felt everyone's eyes on us. It was a little like last week in fourth period, only without the ominous feeling. There were no secrets left to come out, no shame surrounding anything. I was proud to sway along to the sappy love song with someone I love very much.

He was in three inch platforms, so I stood on my tiptoes to kiss him. I felt the stares go away, the entire dance just sort of went away. It was just the two of us and a sappy love song.

He was wearing one of those gentle smiles, like the patron of recurrent light. He pervaded a radiant beauty.

"What was that for?" he asked, smiling even harder.