Chapter 43: Facing the Assembly

I woke up in the building where the Divine Assembly was held. Lord Okuninushi's curtains were drawn, but I saw his silhouette. The other gods were there as well and soft chatter filled the building. I looked up and realized I was still on Monjiro's lap and also curled up on a cushion. Kikuichi stood behind us. Nanami sat beside me with Mizuki sitting cross-legged behind her.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"The Divine Assembly has been gathered to pass judgement on Akura Ou and Tomoe," Nanami said nervously, "They're no longer familiars and they're going to be found guilty of attacking Lady Izunami for their own selfish reasons."

"God, I'm sorry," I said, "I shouldn't have freed them from their contracts."

"No, it was the best choice," Nanami said, "Lady Izunami and Lord Ikusagami have been incapacitated for a while, so they can't cause trouble."

"But the greatest issue I see is trying to find a way to prove that Tomoe and Akura Ou are innocent without evidence or witnesses," Mizuki said. 

Just then, the doors opened and Akura Ou and Tomoe walked in. Their wrists were chained together and two guards were behind them. Tomoe looked calm and Akura Ou was grinning. Neither of them could care less about the trouble they were in and it was clear on their faces; the blood stains on their clothes didn't make it look any better. I noticed Tomoe and Nanami staring at one another and he seemed to become a little more sad.

"Can't I do something?" I asked.

"Without a proper god mark showing, there's no proof that you are the god of the World Over Yonder," Mizuki said, "A display of your power would also work, but you haven't developed your power enough."

I looked up when Akura Ou's boot nudged my knee. He just smiled.

"There's nothing we can do, flower," he said softly and walked past. I started to stand but the guards motioned for me to stay seated.

"Please don't do anything rash," Mizuki whispered.

I nodded. Sorry, but I don't listen to anyone.

"Nanami, I need you to get ready," I whispered.

She blinked a few times then nodded.

"Monjiro, Kikuichi, hold those guards back," I whispered.

They nodded. They waited a few seconds and then jumped up and grabbed the guards. Their was a collective gasp in the Divine Assembly. Nanami jumped up, ran to Tomoe, and threw her arms around his neck, but she paused. He smiled.

"I'll have to face my crimes eventually," he said.

"Not today, please," she said.

He leaned down and kissed her and then she hugged him tightly.

"It doesn't make a difference what we do," Akura Ou said. 

I stood up and kissed his cheek, "I know I'm human, but do you really think I'm stupid. Just give me a minute to think."

He pushed me down so I was sitting and walked up to face Ookuninushi. The curtain opened and I saw him, a scar across his forehead, sitting with his head down.

"Lord Ookuninushi, what do you believe is proper punishment for Akura Ou?" a woman with a golden headdress and long, pale blue hair asked, "He has made it so both Lady Izunami and Lord Ikusagami were required to see the Peach God."

"Who is she?" I asked.

"Princess Narukami, the lightning god," Mizuki whispered.

"That is for the god of the World Over Yonder to decide," Lord Ookuninushi said.