Chapter 1-Analeigh

Stepping out of my car my hands go up to fix the scarf around my neck to fight against to bitter chill of the January morning. Had it not been for a scheduled meeting, I wouldn't even be outside at this time. Shutting my car door behind me I head toward my favorite coffee shop.

Inside the place was practically empty aside from the two older women who occupied a table by the side window likely gossiping about other ladies their age.

Approaching the counter, Nina the usual morning time worker during the week gave me a tired smile. "Morning Analeigh," Nina greets, her finger going to the touch screen before her.

"Your usual?"

I nod. "Yes, please. Make it a large." I answer back before looking down to my purse to dig out my wallet.

"You're out early," Nina observes punching in my order and then telling me the total. I swipe my card through the machine entering my pin.

"I have an inspection scheduled in an hour. So, I figured I should caffeinate myself so I don't fall asleep while they do their walk around."

Nina takes the paper cup going over to the espresso machine to start on my order. "That sounds dull. Better you than me." I laugh tucking my wallet back into my purse and leaned against the counter.

"That may be so but I don't have to deal with people lacking coffee in the morning." Nina sends me a playful eye roll. The door chimes as another customer walked in. Nina tells the young mother that she will be right with her once she is done making my drink.

Once my coffee is in my hand, I turn ready to head out when my phone starts chiming my pre-downloaded tune. Halting my steps to the door I head over to the closest table setting my drink down to get my phone that appears to have fallen to the bottom of my purse.

"Analeigh Grayson speaking," I answered. I instantly frown at what the man at the other man tells me I won't be able to get an appointment for almost two weeks.

"Listen," I say cutting the man off trying to keep calm because it wasn't his fault for the issue. "I have a couple that has a closing date at forty-five days. We are already at thirty and I have been trying to get an appointment with your company for a while now. I don't like the fact that my appointments keep getting canceled. I think it's time to take my business elsewhere."

Just like I thought. I got an apology and a scheduled time in two days. Perfect.

Thanking him, I hang up. Just as I pick up my coffee to get the hell out of there, I feel a presence behind me. I turn to find a tall man in his mid-twenties towering over me. Of course, being only five foot four all men my age tower over me.

A dark green cap covered his hair, with dark blonde wisps peeking out. Stubble covered his jaw and when my eyes landed on his mouth, his lips were curled up in a knowing smile.

"Analeigh Grayson?" The attractive man asks.

"Yeah," I answered slowly wondering how this man knew my name. I hadn't even seen him come inside.

If the man's smile might have got wider. "You went to Thorton High, right?"

Everything in me was screaming get away from this creep. He knows my name and where I went to high school. I have no clue who he is. Nothing about him seems familiar.

"Chris Wexler," he responds pointing to himself. I blink. The name is not ringing any bells.

"We sat next to each other in College Algebra. My friend Darren dated your friend Crystal." Suddenly it all came to me. Chris, right. We ran in the same social circle but hardly interacted with each other except maybe to annoy me during our free time during class.