Chapter 2-Chris

The next afternoon I make the trek back home. Just like Analeigh told me yesterday it had snowed overnight. Thankfully it was only an inch of snow that was plowed off the highways long before I left for work this morning.

I am so glad that it's Friday because this week is finally over. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get home if it wasn't for the fact that my best friend's wife just had her baby Tuesday morning the day I traveled to Indiana for work. Go figure.

Darren and Lisa had a baby girl, Rachel. Their first child and of course it is a girl. I can't wait to make fun of him in person.

When I arrived, I parked behind Lisa's car and hurried to their door after grabbing my camera. I lifted my hand to knock then thought I better text them to let them know I'm here just in case Rachel is sleeping. A moment later the door opened showing Lisa.

"Chris, sweetie, come on in." Lisa gestures me inside. I take off my coat hanging it on the hook. Then I turn to Lisa. "Don't you look beautiful for just having a baby. Puts other mothers to shame." I hold out my arms for a hug.

Lisa laughed, hugging me back. "Such a liar."

"Congrats Lis."

"Thank you."

We pull apart and I say, "Okay, where is the little princess at?" Lisa laughs again this time rolling her eyes. "Rachel is with Darren in the living room. I swear between you two she is going to be spoiled."

"Damn right she is," I respond proudly. "I'm going to be her favorite uncle."

When I get to the living room, I see Darren snuggled into the couch holding his precious newborn. It is a beautiful and weird sight to see. Ten years ago, I never imagined that one day my friend would be holding his own child. My best friend is a dad.

"Well, I never thought I would see the day that Darren Murphy has a daughter." Darren looked over at me as I lift my camera getting it to focus just right. I snapped a couple of photos. Mainly of Darren glaring at me.

I sat down on the couch next to the couple, as Lisa settled in next to her husband.

"Rachel meet your Uncle Chris," Darren says quietly, gently placing her into my arms. I cradle the newborn close to me. Immediately I can see features that Rachel obtained from her parents. The little bit of hair she has is dark like Lisa's. A dimple in her chin comes from Darren. A lot of her comes from Darren.

"Doesn't she look like Darren?" Lisa says softly reading my thoughts. "Well, now we know that he would make a pretty girl." I tear my eyes away to look at my friend who did not look amused at my comment. I flash him a smile and go back to looking at his daughter.

"You are beautiful Rachel." I coo holding out my finger. Rachel reached out to try to grasp it and it took several tries before she was able to get a grip. She smiled at me.

"Your daddy and I are going have to beat up a lot of boys when you are older."

"Damn straight," Darren says while Lisa rolls her eyes. "Again with the no boys thing," she muttered.

"How have you both been? Getting any sleep?" I asked turning my focus to the new parents.

"Just barely. Good thing Darren took a few weeks off so we can try to get on a schedule and take turns sleeping throughout the night." Lisa replies.

"If you need a babysitter you know I'm always available." Darren looks at me with a frown.

"The only person you ever babysat was your brother Adam when you were younger," he pointed out. That is true I haven't even babysat my nephew yet and he is going on two. My older brother and his wife live over two hours away. They rarely go without their son and if they do they have a babysitter on call.