Chapter 4-Chris

On a Wednesday afternoon, I got called into my boss' office. I let out a noisy breath as I saved my work. I pushed away from my desk standing up. Weaving through the different areas of desks because my space is on the other side of the office.

When I get to Greg's office the door is shut. He keeps it shut most of the time likely to not be disturbed from either his nap or his afternoon of computer games. Frankly, Greg is lazy and I have no idea how a man like him even got a job overseeing everyone. Just because they have been in the industry for over twenty years doesn't mean they are good at it.

I learned that last year when I went to talk to Greg about an idea after talking it over with the manager of my department. He sent me back to my manager to deal with it. The only time he seems to care is when one of us is being sent to corporate because that is one less person to deal with.

I knocked on the door and Greg yelled for me to come in. Greg doesn't bother to look away from the screen of his computer as I stepped into his office. He is rapidly clicking his mouse, grunting in frustration.

"What can I do for you, Greg?" I ask sitting down just hoping to break his concentration and mess up his game.

"I need you to go back next week to Indiana. There is stuff going on with the project," he answered quickly, clicking even faster on the mouse.

"When do I need to be there?"

"Fuck," Greg muttered under his breath, hitting his fist on the desk.

"Monday afternoon Wexler. You'll be there till Wednesday. Now get the hell out of my office."

"Sure thing boss." I salute watching his face turn red which was either directed at me or his game. I didn't stick around to find out. I chuckled to myself shutting the door behind me.

Just like a few weeks ago when I first received news that I would be going to corporate I head over to HR where they will book my stay. Once that was set up I start heading back to my desk to get some more work done for the day.

I don't get very far when Lewis stops me.

Lewis is the office playboy. A few years older than me, in his early thirties. He is the type of guy who is allergic to commitment. Often brags about his weekend exploits. Lewis isn't a bad guy to hang around with if you want to watch a game together. Outside of that, this guy is truly annoying.

"I saw you got called into the boss' office," Lewis smirks. "Went to HR afterward. What did you do? Get canned?"

As much as I love my job, working here, it's not the greatest. I may not even mind if I did get fired because it would give me the excuse to go look elsewhere. But because I have a decent job that pays well I am more than happy with where I am at.

"No. I'm needed at corporate next week." I say.

"Lucky bastard. You get away from this shit hole for a few days." Can't argue on that one. "They should send me I am the better-looking one out of the office." I snort in disagreement.

"Please you have wrinkles and are barely in your thirties." Lewis glared at me.

"At least I don't look like I have highlights in my hair." I just laugh. My blonde hair has an array of different shades of blonde ranging from light to dark. At times it does look like I had my hair done to achieve the color I have.

"Touche," I respond.

"Still you are lucky. Getting time to spend with all those ladies." When I went to the head office a few weeks back I was surprised to see how many females are working for the engineering development team. Not that I don't think women are capable of being engineers, but because there was a lot in my program, you just don't see many hired. Made me feel proud that society is changing.