Chapter 5-Chris

By Tuesday late afternoon came around I was let go for the day not needed. Since I was let out early, I had no idea what to do with myself. Grabbing my camera, I found a park that was still covered in snow and started taking pictures.

I wandered around for about an hour capturing everything from the trees still coated in ice to the geese sitting around in clusters. Once I felt the cold seeping in making me shiver it was time to leave and get a coffee. Since I knew the place already had good coffee, I went to the one the last time I was here. I brought in my camera and laptop figuring I would edit until I decided to get dinner.

I felt better after a couple of minutes of sitting inside combined with a hot drink. I turned on my laptop and connected my camera. I waited while my pictures were downloaded, by people watching. There was a mixture of people in this early evening. Teenagers who just got done with their after-school programs. Parents who need a pick me up before dealing with the chaos at home. A college student uses the internet to get homework done. Nothing caught my eye that I wanted to take pictures of.

My photography hobby started when I was in middle school when I took a photography class. For several classes, while the weather permitted, we got to go around the neighborhood closest to the school to take pictures. It became a contest among several of us to take the best photo. Nothing blurry as most of us ended up getting. I had fun with it. Learning to get different angles, figuring out where the light is. Once the class was over, I truly missed taking pictures that I begged for a camera of my own.

My parents were reluctant to get me one. Even the crappier end models were a bit out of my parent's price range. So, while I saved my money to put towards a new camera, I practiced with a digital camera my grandparents bought when they were trying to be tech-savvy. Their obsession with the digital age didn't last long.

Hey, their loss was my gain.

Once I saved up and my parents paid for the rest, my camera was always by my side. I took pictures of everything. Which eventually got on my family's nerves when I was always in their face taking a picture. My dad threatened more than a thousand times to break "the damn thing".

Over the years the passion still hasn't gone away. While I love photography it certainly isn't something I want to do professionally. I like taking pictures of what I want.

I edited for a while not realizing the sun was dipping into the horizon and the lights were brighter inside. Not until a shadow came upon me. I heard a quiet tapping then "are you stalking me now?"

I jerked my head up to find Analeigh standing by my chair with a raised brow, holding a coffee in one hand and a small paper bag in the other. She didn't look particularly pleased in finding me here.

My lips twitched into a smile.

"Hey can't blame a guy for wanting a decent cup of coffee," I said. Analeigh just stared back lips pressed firmly together. "So, do I get a hug or what?" I spread my arms open grinning.

Analeigh looked like she rather stick her head in the coffee bean grinder than hug me. Her look only made me laugh.

"I don't hug people," she informed me with a huff. Judging by the look on her face I don't think she is lying.

I shrug. "You don't know what you are missing then." Analeigh rolled her eyes, frown lessening.

"I think I will be okay," she says pointedly. "What brings you back here?"

"Why don't you sit and I'll tell you." I secretly hoped she would. I like having interactions with people and I'm on my own for tonight. Once I leave here I'll get dinner and hang out in my hotel room for the night. So thrilling.