Lesson: Do Not Take Magical Shells

When Killua arrived at the sandy beach, he sat down on a slightly sandy rock to admire the view. The sun shone brightly, as it often did on Greed Island. The sea was a bright clear aqua, and even though he was a good few metres form the sea he could still see bright fish darting in between the coral. Few clouds lay across the sky, and they were just wisps against the blinding blue. He sighed and closed his eyes against the warm sun. Now this was living.

Killua decided it was about time to start the book, so he unclasped the leather seal and scanned the glossary on the first page.

Bright illustrations popped out at him, and although the pages were tea-stained and dog-eared they were informative. Maybe he should check the mermaid mythology section of the library more often if all the books were so detailed.

After reading a few pages he stumbled across something that caught his attention. He had just scanned over this while reading the glossary, but now it seemed interesting. What was most striking about the page was the large drawing that took up at least half the it. A pearly white, curved shell with a slight colourful tint to the edges.

There was not much significant about this shell, except from the fact that it was pretty. And it looked almost identical to the shell Gon had given him. It was a wishing shell, the book informed him. Killua read on eagerly, heart thumping hard and blood rushing to his ears.

The wishing shell ❁ཻུ۪۪♡

The wishing shell is a rare oceanic object located in any sea in any place in the world; as the shell is thought to have a mind of its own and an ability to place itself wherever it pleases. This mythological shell is known to only be found by those good of heart or destined to truly love another, whether this be romantic or platonic.

The sole purpose of this shell is a wish. Any wish strong enough, or that the shell deems important, will be granted but as this shell is so rare it is unlikely to ever find. The shell is almost always used for a creature of the sea [see page 223 - merfolk definition] to gain the ability to walk on land, or in other words, become human.

The shell grants any mer deemed worthy legs to be with a loved one on land, usually. If the wish to be on land is strong enough the shell can grant it. The shell has been recorded in history very few times, and even merfolk doubt it's existence. The shell is in truth almost a fairytale. Much like merfolk themselves.

...

Killuas mind raced with possibilities. The shell may be the reason Gon was able to become human! He had just assumed every mer could become human at will but it was obvious this was not the case. Then why had he given Killua the shell? Maybe he didn't realise its capabilities. The possibilities were endless. He would have to ask Gon when he showed up.

His palms were sweaty and he felt dizzy with exhilaration. He forgot the breathe for a few seconds and almost dropped the book in his excitement. Imagine what they could to with this shell! They could change the world for the better! End all wars. Stop poverty. They cou- Wait.

What if the shell only worked with the person who had found it? What if Gon didn't want to help him or didn't believe the shell was magic. Killua was going to need to ask Gon about this when he showed up at 9 tommorow. If he showed up.

The white haired boy knew he couldn't avoid his family forever though. He sighed and stood up the return to the light house, and maybe find out more about this mystical shell.

The shell! He remembered. Gon has it in his pile of treasures! Killua almost ran over to where Gon's treasure was situated, and rummaged around for the shell. Killua's hand clasped around something smooth and cold to the touch and he pulled out the infamous shell. It was even more beautiful than he had remembered, and even the ridges of the shell weren't sharp to touch. He dropped the shell delicately into his pocket and set off back to the lighthouse, pale features set in a grim, determined line.

...

Special update cuz it's my birthday tomo (11th June, or in an hour since its 11 rn lmao) A lot of stuff happened today. I puked, gave my sister an iPhone I got for my birthday and decided to go to a vegan festival so happy days lol (and before you ask, yes, I am the queen of England) also I apologise for any spelling mistakes it's literally 11 at night I don't have the mental capacity for this